New Macbook Pro with New Speck clear case - mini review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A Pittarelli, Jul 23, 2008.

1. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

So a few days ago I got a shiny new "15 mbp(i know i know) to replace my macbook and i wanted to also get some sort of new casing. After a bit of interweb viewing, stock checking, and thought I ended up getting a clear Speck hard case and thought I give some feedback to anyone thinking about making the same decision.

Paid $49 Canadian, thought it was a little pricey.
    Installation was very very easy.
    All ports are clear and free of obstruction.
    Doesnt add to much to the girth of the computer, still relatively slim and sleek.
    Screen opens fine and only a couple of degrees were lost due to the case.
    Looks slick, even the girlfriend complimented on it and she doesnt really care.
    Seems to offer substantial protection against anything but a drop.

Overall it was well worth the $50 and I would buy one again. I would also make this a priority for anyone with a regular macbook. The Macbook cases are kindof flexy and you could improve their structural integrity with one greatly. Good protection, looks nice, easy install. A+

2. ebayhelp macrumors member

FAIL

Did you not realize that incase came out with a better one? www.goincase.com for more <

Speck cases are known to scratch up macbooks and macbook pros so yea

i suggest you return it asap and buy the incase

if you thought i helped feel free to pm me my paypal and I'll gladly take your donation/appreciation ^^

3. A Pittarelli thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm checked it out but it only comes in red and looks nearly identical - any particular reason to switch?

4. ebayhelp macrumors member

No it doesn't only come in red... it comes in black, white, red, and pink

if you have dust/small particles in the case with the Speck and you take out your macbook pro, then it WILL cause scratches on your macbook pro- like scratches on the iphone 2g since it's aluminum.

Incase uses some special crap and doesn't make scratches whatsoever.

not identical bro

The Hardshell Case for MacBook Pro offers durable hardcase construction for excellent notebook coverage. Featuring a frosted hardshell exterior, soft-touch coating, raised rubber feet, thermal vents, and trouble-free access to all features, this is the most sophisticated and discreet option in notebook protection.

Features

Excellent notebook protection
    Exterior rubberized soft-touch coating
    Precise cut out features allow trouble-free access to magnetic power cable, headphone and microphone input jacks, CD ROM drive, battery level check button, and all side ports
    Vents and rubber feet elevate notebook away from surface, allowing notebook’s internal fans to circulate air more freely
    Simple to use and easy to clean

Ooh yea the material is made out of "rubberized soft-touch coating"

another factor for your mbp lifetime usage is this: Vents and rubber feet elevate notebook away from surface, allowing notebook’s internal fans to circulate air more freely

if you use your mbp in high temps too much it will die faster

another worthy investment : )

once again pm me for my paypal lulz i'm broke i need to buy an incase as well

edit: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/15-hardshell-case-cl57120

link for the black one ^

if you look, there is like red, white, pink, black colors in squares for the colors. so yea

5. A Pittarelli thread starter macrumors 6502

thats for your opinion but begging for money isnt going to get you any. thanks anyway....

6. ebayhelp macrumors member

i'm not begging buddy :p

anyways you're most welcome

yea just go incase

speck just uses regular plastic and is more uglier

so are you gonna buy the incase or speck?

7. A Pittarelli thread starter macrumors 6502

i already have the speck(as you may tell from my mini review) but if i can find an incase one in the store i might get one. am i quite content with it an there arent any signs of scratching or anything

8. ebayhelp macrumors member

trust me you will find scratches

i searched your posts
    and i realized ytou got the mbp as a replacement for the mb

did you payt the difference? or free upgrade?

9. imac. macrumors newbie

wait isn't $50
    a bit pricie for a case but
    how thick is it
    ??

10. ebayhelp macrumors member

uber slim

11. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Since you are willing to review your purchase, I ask you question.

Did you compare the internal temperatures with and without the casing? If you did, did you notice any significant difference?

Thank you.
    thistle

12. ionlygreat macrumors member

One thing I feel I must tell you - I got a MBP a couple of weeks ago (i know, i know :p) and I was seriously considering getting the Speck cover for it. I went through tonnes of reviews on Amazon.com, and several people reported that dust would get through the case and get trapped between the notebook and the case and won't be able to escape. The dust pieces then scratched the notebook - so the point of the cover in the first place is lost.
    It wasn't just a couple of people - quite a few reported this, and so I made the decision not to invest in a speck clear case. I just wanted to let you know, I do hope it doesn't happen to you.

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm sure after acting like an eleven-year-old troll and treating him like an idiot (which he's clearly not) he's going to be more than willing to give you money for your unsolicited, insulting advice.

In your own words, "FAIL." Try again.

14. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Lol Owned...

Anyway I just ordered one of those Incase Hardshells.. Ill let you guys know how they are.

15. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't put a shell on my MBP, but if for some reason I decided to, I would go with the incase hardshell. Better material and design.

16. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Just FYI -
    I bought a speck case for my MBP before I went abroad. It was fine, protected my MBP, etc etc. However, once I tried to get it off for cleaning, it was a real problem. The bottom piece came off fine, but the top piece absolutely refused to come off. I actually had to take it to the Apple store so they could get it off! I was afraid of bending my screen and was frankly sick of battling with it.

The Genius was amused at first when I told her the problem, but she spent a good 5 minutes trying to get it off. Then she told me she was going to take it in the back and she'd return shortly. I was worried she was using some horrible sharp thing and scratching my baby up. She came out FIFTEEN minutes later flushed and told me it was a pain to get off, and that I shouldn't put it back on again.

I almost wanted to ask for a refund, since I bought it at the Apple store. After that fiasco, I wasn't all that impressed with this particular case.

17. ebayhelp macrumors member

lol anthony will be pwnd like you

sorry to hear about that

18. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I am not trolling like ebayhelp is, but I just wanted to put this out there for people who are looking into getting various hardcases - incase and speck alike.

Why do it? The primary goal of these hard cases can't be to protect from drops and falls, because they are hard cases and your computer will suffer no matter what. If the goal is to protect your mbp from scratches...why not get an invisibleshield, or a best skins ever? The add virtually no thickness to your mbp, and are probably better at dissipating heat. Hard cases to me are nothing more than flash for $$$ and added bulk. I mean there could be some good reasons to get a hardshell...but I can't legitimize anything that a shield couldn't do.