New Macbook Pro WITH Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsoccerman, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_patent_thinner_macbook_pro_with_optical_drive/

Before all of you attack me, I want to propose this..

I haven't noticed anyone comment on it, and I saw this a few months ago. What if they actually KEEP the Optical drive, and still thin the computer?

I could see them doing this, especially if they are looking to potentially keep their pro users happy.

Don't attack me, just curious.
    Im waiting for the new one too.. the one in my signature won't hold too much resale value after as much time if there's a redesign right now..

Thanks!

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

If this happen personally I would be happy because I sometimes use the ODD. I don't like the idea of sacrificing USB for a portable ODD that will make more bulk in my backpack.

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

It's possible but I think highly unlikely, the ODD takes up so much space that it doesn't make sense to keep it when it isn't necessary for most people. Keeping it would not be like Apple at all. They even got rid of it from the Mac Mini, which doesn't benefit from its exclusion like a MBP would. The patent doesn't mean much, Apple patents anything and everything they think of.

4. neilpryde23 macrumors regular

I posted this a couple weeks ago on the 2012 Redesign Thread:

I thought that for a while when I saw the Apple patent back in the fall about a thinner ODD. The only problem with that is that if they do make the MBP thinner while keeping the ODD, in a thinner form like that patent from several months ago, Apple's doesn't gain any space within the MBP casing, as opposed to being thinner but having the space left over from the removal of the ODD. Instead, Apple LOSES some space that they are using in the current MBP with no real benefits gained.

Also, if they drop the ODD, I'm also not sure if they would make the ODD a BTO option either. I would assume that would require a different casing with a slot and reorganizing of the internals structure to fit the ODD in. Also, the keyboard would have to be different in order to have the eject button. I'm not sure that production process would be difficult to manufacture, but I feel as though Apple would rather tell people to go get an external superdrive

5. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

This is true. I think however, with the lower power consumption of the Ivy Bridge, couldn't they make the battery slightly smaller? the power is quite a bit less...

You're right about the BTO, however. I definitely think that it will be with or without. But they could hang on with a little more Optical life if they make it thinner.. its like slowly phasing it out. I honestly don't understand what they gain from making one line of laptops where they used to have 3... maybe they won't.. but without an optical drive.. the "Pro" line will become MUCH more air-like. I'm waiting with bated breath for WWDC.

By the way, I use Parallels 7 with XP and I use a lot of programs (some games) with CD all the time.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Sure. They added support for BDMV in Mountain Lion. BDMV means Blu-ray.

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Honestly this makes sense to me. Of course apple can decide either way though.

8. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Hm? doubt it will be a blu ray drive...

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt it. Of all the things that they will put engineering effort into accomplishing on the new MBP, I doubt that keeping the optical drive is on the list.

That space would be better used for improved cooling or more battery, things that cannot be replaced by external devices.

10. ivanpk macrumors regular

One can wish though!

11. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

That is true.. You may however need only a smaller battery with the better power efficiency of the Ivy Bridge.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Which of these would Apple rather announce?

"The new Macbook Pro! It still has a DVD drive!"

Or

"The new Macbook Pro! 12 hours of battery life!"

Everything's a tradeoff with a mobile computer.

13. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering,.. who wants that much power?
    I think a lot of people are satisfied with what there is now,, it is nearly the best time on the market..

so i think apple would get some credit for keeping the Disk drive

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

BDMV means nothing. My camcorder records files into BDMV folders, yet it uses SD cards.

15. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I absolutely want that much power. That's the number one reason I adore my iPad over my MacBook air - excessive battery means not having to worry about it. Constantly thinking about whether I have enough power or should I plug in to get through a day is something I can not wait to be rid of. Compare that constant headache to the two times I've needed a cd drive in the last three years, it's a no brainier.

16. trajan2448 macrumors member

Many power users would love a Blu ray! Not everybody is a myopic twit who thinks that everyone has the same needs as they do. Music pros especially need an optical drive, and there are many MBP users among their ranks. 17" with all the goodies, options and power they can pack into it, please. I'll take two to go.

17. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Many power users have no use for a DVD drive and would rather that giant chunk of space that's being taken up in the machine they have to carry be used for something that's actually useful. Not everybody is a myopic twit who thinks that everyone has the same needs as they do.

18. dank414 macrumors member

This might not be inline, but reading that article made me realize why the hell aren't we mass producing sd cards to be cheaper instead? Stack them puppies up like old school floppy drives~

Everyone's got them (in notebooks) with readers and they're better than optical drive mediums. 4gb are at a point where you can find them in the $1-3 bins when they go on sale at stores. Why aren't we using them for customers demanding storage on the go? They're more dependable and fairly scratch resistant, it just seems right that we take advantage of this medium instead for data trading. Why are we trying so hard to justify dvds/cds? Just a thought.

19. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I wouldnt mind, in fact I could potentially welcome such an addition. We all know how apple is obsesses about NOT giving users options and choices, therefor if the ODD was removed we could be sure that the potential to be stuck with only ONE internal drive in a macbook pro would be a reality.

This way, a thinned macbook pro WITH an ODD guarantees us the possibility to have two drives. I have my MBP setup with a 120gb SSD drive in place of the ODD and a 1TB drive in place of the stock drive. I use one for storage/documents/movies and the other ONLY for applications and the OS.

This combination in my opinion is superior to anything else offered in laptops AT THAT SIZE (i dont care for gigantic 19" laptops).