New macbook pro with snow leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Memmen, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Memmen macrumors newbie

If I'll go to the store and buy myself a new macbook pro 15", can I install snow leopard on it? and how would I do that? I only own a snow leopard copy which I got with my macbook pro 13" 2011 and as far as I know it doesn't work correctly with other mac versions if you dont have the "retail cd" ?

I dont want to waste extra cpu and ram power for mountain lion since there are no features that I'm interested in.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Snow leopard is not officially supported, although people have claimed it works I am not to sure about them, on one site I read snow leopard does not support Ivy bridge and if that is so you are out of luck.

Link

Edit: In the same link they say you need to change the kernel and other drivers, also Thunderbolt won't work with it.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Nor will the HD4000 graphics, and you'd probably have to locate a recompiled kernel for Ivy Bridge. More probs than it's worth IMHO.

Mid 2011 10.6.6 build supports the TB and will go on a 2011 that came with Lion but that's Sandy Bridge and not Ivy Bridge. Getting your hands on that build is the challenge, as the highest retail was only 10.6.3