New Macbook Pro wondering what week it was made?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sprocket82, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sprocket82 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just got my first mac, a 2.2 SR MacBook Pro Stock for now, I know a new update is coming soon,Tuesday, Maybe? I wanted to wait, but got tired and decided to enjoy a mac now. But getting back on topic, I am loving my new mac, and i am wondering what week it was built by the serial number.

Can anyone tell me how i can find out this information?

Thanks.

2. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

As an example, mine starts with W8701

The 'W8' can be ignored, the '7' means 2007, and the '01' means week 1. So mine was built the first week of 2007.

3. harrisone23 macrumors member

Interesting

Thats very interesting. Thanks alot. I just found out I have a Week 38 ipod touch!

4. davidec macrumors regular

I just got back from the Apple Store with my replacement MBP. My serial number begins with W88042. I guess it was manufactured in the fourth week of 2008? I'm surprised that my machine was made just two weeks ago. If new MPB were on there way surely they still wouldn't be manufacturing the current MPB's?

5. sprocket82 thread starter macrumors newbie

From my serial number W8805xxxxxx my unit was manufactured the fifth week of 2008 so the last week of January sometime. Cool Thanks.

I purchased online from the apple store on Tuesday the 12th after no MBP updates. It was delivered Friday the 15th. My unit was a stock model. The funny thing is i was reading a post that people who ordered units on the 5th of February still haven't received their units.

Mine was shipped from Pennsylvania and delivered in Pennsylvania. Since it didn't come from China, could i assume it was sent directly from an Apple Store?

6. The Sheck macrumors member

I'm guessing these are different for Macbooks. Mine says 746, which would place it as 4th week of July, but I bought it last month. (Santa Rosa 2.2 GHz). :confused:

7. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Sure they would. Asustek still has to use up their parts inventory. Plus, that serial number is the time the unit was completely assembled and shipped off. No telling how long the individual parts have been sitting around.

They all come from China :D But more likely it came from an Apple warehouse rather than a store. I guess it's possible though.

That'd be week 46, 2007. Not July.

8. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Mine was built the 5th week of 2008, which was the same week I ordered it (it's a base model MBP). I thought it smelled fresh when I opened it. :)

9. CrashMelb macrumors newbie

So if all these machines have just been built, what hope does this give for a new model soon?

10. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Like I said, it means inventory is dwindling and they're flushing out the "old" parts to make room for the new.