New MacBook Pro Won't Connect to External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragons, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Dragons macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! I'm a recent PC to Mac switcher. I bought my first Mac yesterday morning and am thrilled with it. :D

On my PC, I had an IEE (I think!) type hard drive with a large collection of photos and music, and I didn't want to spend the time tediously switching every file from my PC to my Mac. So I took out the hard drive with my music and pictures from my PC, and bought a hard drive case. Which was fantastic, until I realized that it didn't work on my PC or my Mac. Finally, I fiddled around with some jumper plugs on the hard drive, and the PC started to recognize it. The PC now works with it, but not the Mac.

I plugged it into the MBP, and went to Disk Utility.

The hard drive isn't mountable and it's telling me:
    "Verifying volume disk1s1

Verify volume failed: Unrecognized Filesystem."

What does that mean? All that's on the disk are pictures and videos, I believe. If anything else is on there, should I just clean it off?

Thanks guys! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It means that the Mac can't read the file system that the drive is formatted in. It's probably NTFS, which you can read on your mac with a variety of programs.

3. Dragons thread starter macrumors newbie

IDE drive, sorry!

Yes, I formatted the whole drive and rewrote it in Mac OS X (Journaled.) Does it make a difference if it's journaled or not? It works beautifully now.

Thanks!