new macbook pro wont start from install disc..disc just makes a noise & ejects

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotia81, Jan 16, 2010.

1. scotia81 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I wanted to use Onyx to check the status of my new macbook pro and it told me that the startup volume needed to be repaired. I tried first of all a safeboot as I understood that this would do a disc check but I wasnt told anything from that.
    So I then inserted the disc OS X install dvd (10.6) and restarted the MB. After the chimes, i pressed the 'c' button. I have tried two times, once just pressing the button, once pressing & holding (no-where does it say which to do). I have found on searching alo that I may need to press the 'option' key but I have no idea where this is!

Anyway, the disc makes a repetative noise and then ejects, and then the MB starts up.. but not from the disc.

What am I doing wrong please??!

Thanks

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

2. maldoblaz macrumors member

Why did you need to check status for? Did you had any problem with your MBP? Onyx is not the best assistance /repair tool as far as I know, and I don't think it's even Snow Leopard wise. If you had a problem with your MBP please post. As a brief piece of advise: if it's not broken don't fix it, and if you think it's something wrong with your MBP, go to a Genius Bar and they will assist you with any problem as you have a brand new computer.

Now I know you live in Mexico ( so there is no Genius Bar available ). Just find a service center and they should help as well.

3. scotia81 thread starter macrumors newbie

When i go to utilities, disk utilities, verify disk... it tells me that there is a problem and that i need to restart from the os x disk to perform a repair.

problem is that i cannot do this..so i want to know if im doing it wrong or not.

i live in switzerland, not mexico..

thanks!

4. maldoblaz macrumors member

Sorry for the location mistake... anyways, you don't have a Genius Bar or Apple stores in switzerland. You should still post your original problem for further assistance in this forum. You still have a guarantee that you can apply where you bought your MBP.

5. scotia81 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, the original problem was just that - i had an error on the HD 'it was in fault state' and i couldnt restart the MB from the install disc.

It turns out that the order in which the 'C' key and the disc is inserted etc is very important..

i have now managed to start up from the install dvd, and corrected the error so all is good.

i just wish that apple had a real step by step guide, as their 'insert the disc and press c' doesnt cut it.

6. maldoblaz macrumors member

Good to know that you're ok now. From now on, just think that your MBP is working ok. Whenever you insert a CD/DVD to the drive and it wont boot or load, just clean it!! No drive likes a dirty surface... ;)

I suggest that you don't use Onyx anymore. try Doktorkleanor for easy troubleshooting or DiskWarrior which includes a startup disk for emergencies.