New MacBook Pro Works Just Fine!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alw, Mar 6, 2008.

1. alw macrumors newbie

I have been in read-only mode here for a long time. Just registered to say I received my new MBP 2.4 15" a few days ago and there is nothing wrong with it. Nothing at all. The screen (matte) is fantastic for a notebook. It is exactly what I expected. Like most Apple products it is overpriced by a few hundred bucks (make that *several* hundred when you add the mandatory extended warranty purchase). None the less, it still beats Windows by a mile. Not expecting hand of god perfection might be skewing by perception as I have not done microscopic analysis yet. That said for a mass produced electronic device from China it seems above average so far.

Want one? Just order it, stop thinking so much....it isn't a child (and people just go out and make those all willy nilly everyday). :D

2. elbertcuenca macrumors newbie

I'm still waiting for my MBP from Amazon. When the heck will they get stock?

3. secretpact macrumors 6502

whoa wait - the extended warranty (applecare) is mandatory? Even if I buy it at the apple store?

4. liquidsense macrumors member

Forgive me for being naive, but what is the point of getting the MBP on Amazon as opposed to Apple.com? I would suspect it has something to do with tax? But with Apple, you can get a guaranteed education discount, no?

5. dan3L macrumors newbie

The 1999.00 MBP with education discount is around 1950.00 depending on your sales tax rate. Amazon' price AFTER mail rebate is 1844.00. A hundred bucks is the difference.

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

my point exactly.
    educational discount is deceiving..
    compare the prices with the taxes added on them.

7. mattsb macrumors newbie

I think he/she meant "mandatory" in the sense that "you really ought to buy it" not that you are actually required to buy it.

8. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Its not mandatory at all, but I think the OP meant to say its mandatory in the sense that if you want coverage for several years then it is.

9. elbertcuenca macrumors newbie

Considering taxes and the rebate I saved more than 300 dollars. Now that's worth talking about.

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll love it for years to come :D :apple:

11. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

I've had my new MBP for about 2 weeks and love it, I'm sure you'll enjoy your's as well.

12. sjb macrumors regular

I second this. I absolutely love my new MBP. I was worried I wasn't going to use it much, but I've been avoiding sunlight and working on my MBP every second I can :)

13. elbertcuenca macrumors newbie

Nah... I'm selling it when Montevina comes out and at the same price mind you.

14. DJJONES macrumors 6502

im still waiting for myne sheesh i feel like i cant wait anymore i think sometime next week guitar center should recieve it o boy cant wait :D

15. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I'm loving mine as well. After reading about screen yellowing on these forums for months, I thought there was a big problem when I turned it on. Turns out all it needed was calibration, and now it's better than my old PowerBook and, dare I say, nearly as nice as my 20" ACD. I've encoded videos and played games and this machine only gets warm to the touch. I plan to enjoy this machine for several years.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But you do get the free printer...

17. mbrydone macrumors regular

I just ordered the MBP with education discount and it saves you $200...so its only 1799.99 and I'm lucky to live in Oregon (the land of NO sales tax :-D)

18. AaronRC macrumors member

I ordered my MBP with educational discount in the UK, and I saved over £550. I wouldn't have been granted any discount at Amazon, so for me (and probably anybody in the UK who's eligible to purchase from the education store), ordering from the Apple Store is going to save you more money than ordering from Amazon.

It's a BTO MBP and the bigger discount came through talking to someone on the phone (£50 Apple Care which isn't available in the education store, for example), so if you're in the UK, I'd suggesting ordering from Apple by phone in you can.

19. squaros macrumors member

squaros

With the educational discount and 6% sales tax, my base system came to $1906.94. I'll pick up the "mandatory" AppleCare before the year is up.

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Every company charges for an extended warranty. You make it sound like just Apple. You can get it cheaper than retail off ebay. I just got AppleCare for my Mac Pro for $100.

21. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Its madatory in the sense that you want to protect your very expensive investment. You have a year to actually buy it, i just ordered a new MBP after i returned the old one, instead of buying the applecare i spent the $300 going for the 2.6Ghz and 7200RPM HDD. Ill buy the applecare in a couple months.

22. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I was affraid that I will get in my hands a defective one, or with one of the numerous problems that are posted in this forums.

So far, the only problem is that I'm new to Leopard, but it is very intuitive to learn and easy to find the source of your problems if you read carefully the message!

I fell in love again! with :apple:

Congrats!!! to everyone enjoying their new MBP!