New Macbook Pro Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Apr 16, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a 15" Macbook Pro (2.88 GHz Core 2 Duo OC'd to 3.06 GHz w/6 MB L2 cache, NVIDIA 9600M GT w/512 MB vRAM OC'd to 9800GT, 4 GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, and removable battery) and I was just wondering whether or not I should sell my old Mac and spend some money to get the new i7 15"... My computer scores about a 6.5 in Windows Vista Experience Rating. I have yet to try it out for Xbench. I bought this computer for a little more than the new Mac is worth (top 15"), just in case that matters somehow.

2. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

All depends on what you do with your laptop. It will, without a doubt, do most you ask of it now and will run most of today's software with out a problem. So updating for a little more performance is more of a want than a need.

Your disposable income and how bad you want should guide you!

I am enjoying my i7 but could get by with a lot less.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question. It will vary from person to person. Most people would be set for years with your current machine.

4. yertle macrumors member

yertle

Is it worth it? Such a relative question, and a favorite of salesmen everywhere.

Salesman: Absolutely! You want your machine to have the most up-to-date specifications. Even if you're only checking Engaget and email, you need the assurance that your device is operating at the optimal level. Life is short, and do you really want to miss out on the best possible experience?

(At this point I visualize the customer bending over and looking back with a somewhat confused smile. Mission accomplished.)

The choice is yours.

5. riotgear macrumors member

6. vasquil macrumors newbie

Absolutely worth the purchase. Now is the time to buy.

I think the new 15" MacBook Pro has the most substantial hardware upgrades compared to the 13". The new high resolution screen will probably make our jaws drop.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's worth it only b/c you can still get top dollar for your c2d machine. Get out of that while you still can. C2D 15"er prices will plummet as the price of the i5s continue to get discounted and also start showing up as refurbs.

Performance wise it's probably a draw w/ the low end i5.

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

This is the only reason I would also suggest to go for it. Your computer's value is going to plummet, so sell it now and buy the upgrade. The i-series processors are probably going to be around for at least another refresh, so the new machine will hold its value at least a bit better.