New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zero-UK, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Zero-UK macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, first post and all that.

I've recently ordered a MBP (the 15" i5) is there anything i need to do regards charging when it arrives? Or is it ok to just plug and go? This'll be my first mac and i don't know if there is anything special i need to do.

Thanks in advance :D

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

You should get a booklet with the machine that answers this question and some others. You should read it before using your Mac for the first time.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out Apple's documentation here about notebook batteries

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The common practice is to charge it up once, completely, then overnight, before running it on the battery only. Then run it all the way down until it goes to sleep because of low battery. Then charge it again, then overnight, then you are fine and can come and go as you please.

TEG

6. Zero-UK, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

Zero-UK thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Politis macrumors regular

Yep, do what the man says here. I was glad a neighbour told me this because Mac people dont, they just bang on about plug and go.

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... and don't forget to keep drinks away from your new MBP when you get it. Don't let yourself be another statistic. ;)

All the best.

9. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Keep drinks away when it gets older too. It's a pretty expensive coffee if spilling it means you need to buy a new machine.

Needless to say spilling liquid into your Mac isn't covered by warranty. If you spill a little water your Mac may be o.k. if you dry it out for days, but with other liquids it'd definitely be wrecked.

10. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

yeah i did that with the battery - it came 1/2 charged so i ran it right down and then fully charged it - now its mainly used on battery unless im gonna be doing some logic work and then its plugged in just cos i cant be ar%ed saving all the time and dont wanna run the risk :D

Vinda

11. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Take a look also at the training videos that are on the Apple site.
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#anatomy

These are also available via iTunes. I found them to be really helpful when I got my first Mac last April.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug it in and start using it. Fairly soon after getting it, you should calibrate your battery (instructions in the following link).

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Some more resources that may prove helpful, especially if this is your first Mac:

13. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh