New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sultansaadat, Feb 11, 2011.

1. sultansaadat macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro core i5 2.53 GHz a week ago, now i am hearing rumors that a refresh is round the corner? was i too hasty in buying a macbook pro? have i missed a trick here? I really needed a new laptop as my previous dell xps was giving up on me and iPhone development required mac os x platform on a proper apple machine.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes you messed up, they are releasing the new models on February 14th.

3. sultansaadat thread starter macrumors newbie

But, i live in Pakistan, it will take 2 months for the new MBP to get here so i took that stuff into consideration.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is no evidence the new models will be released on Feb 14th

OP, if you needed a new MBP, then you did the right thing
    You have a great machine

There will always be updates down the road
    When the new MBPs will show up, we don't know yet

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

:) He answered his own question...

6. sultansaadat thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way i am also buying Seagate momentus XT and 8gb ram, How is the momentus? does it really make a difference? i don't believe youtube videos they might be biased...

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

It does in some things, I dont notice it now because it is only holding music and a time machine partition. SSD is doing all the work.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A lot of folks love the Momentus, and it will likely give you a boost

You will especially appreciate the RAM upgrade :)

9. sultansaadat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a programmer so it might give me a good boost on loading X-CODE SSD are expensive at the moment but soon they will be cheap and considering that MBP comes up with 5400rpm(sucks in many ways) its better to buy the momentus

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Your computer is still going to kick allot of ass. And unlike other brands of computers even a MacBook Pro 3 generations behind is still kick ass.

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

You have an amazing machine. I have one and I love it. It does everything that I throw at it.

It sounds like the new mbp's, whenever they would be released, werent even an option for you.

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

any links to back that up?

intel is re-shipping SB on 20th...

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Fixed that for ya ... makes more sense now :cool:

14. GammaPoint macrumors newbie

If the MacBook Pro is going to updated, does that suggest that the Macbook will also be updated? Or are these things on totally different timelines and uncorrelated?

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I wouldn't say you bought too early.

First I would guess a refresh can come out in mid-summer but with baggage. If the new MBP has Sandy Bridge, will Intel get its act together with known issues by then? Even if apparent issues are ironed out, do you want to be an early adopter of a much different type of processor which the Sandy Bridge is, also which is much more of a jump over current "i" processors and certainly more than when those "i" processors upscaled the Core 2 Duo processors.

I think there's too much unknown to be an early adopter of Sandy Bridge, especially with early SNAFU recently.

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

You f'd up bad and missed the trick. New model out April 2011

17. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

the 2010 model is proved to be nearly problem-free (c.f. threads about macbook pros 2008 dying), it's not bad to purchase it now if you need a notebook. Everyone knows that sometime in early to mid 2011 Apple will update its Macbook Pro lines and rumors about the refresh usually come out 2-3 months before the actual update. So an April to May guess is quite safe.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Yeah, but it's like trick or treat. Will you get a treat with a lower power consumption/better battery life/faster MBP with Sandy Bridge (hopefully if no snags happen) or will you get a "trick"/"bum" machine that has a SB and chipset that is not quite yet bug-free. It's not a chance I am will to spend a lot of money on.

Definitely wait for SB powered MBPs in their next incarnation. If I got a MBP I think either a low cost 13", which proves to fill most people's needs, or a nicer one with mid-level Core i5 is a great option right now.