New Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, Aug 30, 2011.

1. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

So just to make it clear, swapping harddrives to SDD won't wreck the warranty on the 2011 MBPs? Like switching out RAM?

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the only thing that would be affected would be the warranty on the part you replace itself. both the hard drive and the RAM are defined as user-replaceable, so it does not affect the warranty of the machine as a whole.

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

so i think ill get a refurbished 2.2ghz..then buy an aftermarket ram kit (8gb) and ssd.
    yew.
    ok I think im getting close.

now suggestions on a 256gb ssd?

4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

5. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Is that plug&play with the 2011 macbook pro? or do i need a bit of fiddling?

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

It had Lion (to my suprise), I didn't realize there's a different keyboard layout.. How can I identify between the two?

----------

From what I've read you need to use a specific firmware.. could be wrong though

7. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Ah dear. This is going to a whole different topic now.
    I just want to bring it back to what I'll be using it for. I'm a heavy Logic User and use Mainstage, on stage.
    Reliability is very important to me.
    Would the performance increase of going 3rd party with the SSD be worth it do you guys think?
    Custome firmware? on a Macbook?? Sounds Hackintosh like? Or am I being paranoid?

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

The performance difference is night and day.. SSD's are incredible. I didn't mean to scare you off the idea by talking about the firmware, I read it somewhere in another thread (I'll see if I can dig it up) that a user upgraded the drive's firmware and that fixed his sleep/hibernation issue he was having.

----------

Do a quick search on the forum for Crucial M4, search thread titles only.

9. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

They're "plug and play", just like every SSD/hard drive in general is. Both 0002 and 0009 firmware revisions are perfectly stable. And you can't even find 0001 models in the wild anyway.

10. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Reading alot into SSDs.
    Apparently the older production run Macbook Pros have a faulty SATA3 connector? Whatever that means?
    So I'm taking a gamble by buying a refurb Macbook Pro and installing the SATA 3 SSD drive myself?

The M4 looks like a hit or miss but I'm very attracted to it due to the price and also cause my local computer shop stocks it (in Vancouver)

11. aluren macrumors 65816

If there's a faulty SATA III connection, that's covered under warranty. I've installed a Vertex 3 on my MBP 13" and everything's been running fine.

You're on the right track. I would get a refurbed 2.2 15" and self install the 8gb ram plus SSD.

How about a anti-glare high res screen?

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

New keyboard layout.

13. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Hey we have sister computers (same) except mine is running 8GB RAM and 250GB HDD (7200RPM)

I too have thought about getting a newer mac (boy do i love performance). I was holding off updating to lion if i was just going to get a new pro (or a souped up air). anyways, I did a complete restore on my computer and after getting things running and under 30GB performance could not be any smoother.

you should try to do the same, you may always just time machine back up and then reload everything if you decide to buy a new computer.

If you are planning on getting an SSD you can get that first and install it onto your current mac and see if you enjoy the upped performance, if you do end up getting a new mac, you can still swap the SSD (so long as they still use a convenient 2.5 hard drive and don't use that MBA thing [doubtful]). You wont be able to use all of the SSD's performance (since we are SATAII), but it will still be a step up and your new mac will use the SATAIII). The nice thing about this route is, if you enjoy the increase with the fresh install and new SSD, you can save money and wait longer before upgrading, as is what I am doing to my MBP so it will last me longer, i have a feeling the next pro update will be great as for the air as well.

Now for the types of SSD's
    you got 2 you can really trust, intel SSD's which are solid and fast
    or OWC SSD's faster then intel, reliable with 3-5 year warranties, and designed specifically for Apple, complete with a sand force controller and 500+ R/W speeds ;)
    it's fairly priced for what you would be getting.
    Hope this post helps you out with everything and you take a the most prudent route.

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

cool, thanks

15. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for that :)
    I did think to prolong using my current machine, but aside from the instruments lagging to load, I find that a lot of effects are redlining the CPUs. I compress alot of my sounds and that, mixed with space designer just slaughters my CPU :(
    But what you said is interesting, about buying the ssd first and then seeing if the new MacBook pro turns out to be good. I looked around some more but I'm only seeing rumors of casing upgrades. Ivy bridge is coming next year so I'm guessing the next upgrade will be just the current hardware, but more expensive, and without the availability of refurbished items.
    So I don't know if for my situation (where performance beats aesthetics) waiting is a fair idea in this case.
    We'll see though, if a Mac event is announced tomorrow, I'll probably wait lol..

16. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Ok so I've decided that I won't go down this route.
    Multiple review articles say that the 6gbs SATA is a big improvement, but the improvement from HDD To Sata 3 is big enough already - and with the added bonus of being fully supported by Apple (I intend on getting Apple Care)

So now my dilemma rests back with this:

Refurb 2.3ghz + 256ssd
    New 2.2Ghz + 256ssd

same price.

I like Snow Leopard more than Lion for now, just because my plugins ALL work on Snow Leopard, not on Lion (grr). But Lion has TRIM support, which I'm guessing I will need for the SSD.

I'm enrolled in a university right now (on top of working full time, and the gigs....whew) and so I can get the $100 mac store coupon.

But if I buy refurb...I get the $250 4% performance improvement.
    Lol.

Thoughts?

17. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Refurb 2.2 with whatever harddrive it comes with, then 8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz RAM, and then for the SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS for speed or Samsung 470 for "reliability."