New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPS, Feb 6, 2012.

1. JPS macrumors regular

I'm beginning to run low on hard-disk space on my 2008 MBP, and am thinking about buying a new one this year. Just curious--is there a noticeable difference between the older model and the latest one?

2. simsaladimbamba

You know, that you can upgrade the internal HDD to a bigger one or get an external HDD, if all you need is extra storage? An external HDD should also be used for backing up important documents, as HDDs fail eventually, some sooner, some later.

RAM can also be upgraded to 6 or 8 GB depending on the model you talk about, as there have been 2008 models of MBPs.

But to answer your question, yes, the 2011 MBPs are faster than the 2008 MBPs, if that is the difference you talk about, though if all you do is creating text documents or browse the www and similar, low-CPU usage, activities, an upgrade to a 2011 MBP might be not worth it.
    Look here for some basic benchmark results.

3. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Sim, but I have two issues to consider--my daughter is drastically in need of an updated laptop, and my current MBP would be perfect for her, and I've always updated my laptops once Apple Care has come to an end, so I'm almost there now.

I could also use the greater speed, to be honest.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

According to benchmarks, the new ones are roughly 3 to 4 times faster.

In normal day to day use, maybe a bit snappier. It all depends on what you do on a daily basis.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I dont know if you follow any of the Apple rumors - but the 2012 MacBooks should (not a promise) be out by early summer. If you want the newest thing. FYI

6. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

I do follow the rumors here, and hadn't noticed that. It's certainly worth waiting for, if it's a full redesign.

Thanks for the tip!

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A major redesign is unlikely, but I'd wait to satisfy your curiosity. I think much of it depends on what direction Intel and AMD are going on cpu and gpu tdp. If there are any truly major changes coming in the next couple cycles, they may wait. Apple likes to build things as thin as possible.

8. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I strongly doubt a redesign will happen, but plenty of people here swear it will happen. They tout thinner this, more powerful that, but the reality of it is that for the computer to get any thinner or more powerful, we'd need a more powerful(thus noisier) cooling system, and we'd lose a few features such as the ethernet port, which I doubt Apple will be willing to remove on a "pro" machine. Thinner also means a smaller battery, and people here already complain that their battery doesn't last long enough...

See what I mean?

10. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I'm not so sure about that. Look at computers from even ten years ago. They weren't very powerful (compared to today's standards), they were quite large by comparison to what we have today... I'm sure people then were also saying "it can't get any smaller or more powerful, we'll need to have a much more powerful cooling system" and yet look where we are now. Who's to say that it can't still get smaller and more powerful?

The usual advice is that you could be waiting forever to upgrade, because there's always something spectacular around the corner. If you have a pressing need for something, get it now. There are rumors that the next Macbook Pro line will feature screens with the "retina" display, which would be a really nice thing to have, though. I'm skeptical that we'll see it this year, but if you also really like the idea of it and can afford the time, it may be worth waiting for.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm talking of the current technology, which isn't exactly far off from what Ivy Bridge chipsets(which aren't much more than a dye shrink of Sandy Bridge) will bring to the table.

You're talking a year or more from now. Of course they'll get thinner and faster, but I don't expect it to happen with the next refresh.

13. JPS thread starter macrumors regular