New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greenwoodgriff, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Greenwoodgriff macrumors newbie

Hello, I am totally new to this site, I have a windows base laptop and really want/need to move to a macbook. I am currently deployed to afghanistan with the united states army. My current Laptop, which is my lifeline, is crashing on me. I am getting the Blue Screen of Death. I am in the army which means no money. I am trying to find out the best place, and best deal on a MacBook. I more then likely will not be able to afford a new macbook, so if anyone can give me advice on where to purchase one, i would greatly appriciate it. Thank you in advance, a US Soldier

2. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

check out ebay. you can get them for under $400.00, check the sellers feedback and the warranty he, or she, is giving. i bought one for $375.00 to my door with upgraded 320gb hard drive. works great except i had to replace the speakers, $6.25 free shipping, but still a pain to do. if you find one id ask how the speakers sound in it to be sure. anyway i dont think your going to find one any cheaper than that. cheaper would be dell or other windows laptop.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, first of all just wanted to say thanks for serving my country. Words cannot describe all you do for us.

Secondly, ebay is a great place to go for older, used laptops. I rebuilt an Early 2009 Macbook pro a year ago for about $500 (including new battery, upgraded ram, and a new HDD). I know my computer could take quite a beating and still work, and the fact that it is 5 years old and still working attests to that.

Depending on your needs (and if you are fine with a 3+ year old computer), you can get a really decent one for $350-800, depending on size, condition, and addons.

Also worth a look is the marketplace forum here, which requires 250 posts (If I remember right), and 6 months of being a member. I've seen a few deals on here for pretty decent prices.

Craigslist is another option, provided you have a location where craigslist is used. Not likely to be in Afghanistan though :(

Hope it helps, and thanks again for your service.
    A907

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Thank you for your service :)

I'd ask someone you trust in the States to check Craigslist for you. There are people out there selling machines that are a few years old with minor issues.

Best of luck to you and safe return home.