New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark903, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mark903 macrumors newbie

Mark903

Hi
    I'm a photographer and videomaker from Italy. I realized it's time for me to buy a new computer as I'm starting to work professional.
    I was thinking about buying an iMac but my laptop is almost at the end of his journey (Macbook 2008) so I'm counting to buy a Macbook pro.

I need to have some good performance on this new computer, I have to edit videos (sometimes in 4K) and run software like Adobe's.
    About the new 2016 Pro's i kinda hate the touch bar and the USB-C, so I tought about the Late 2015 but it's a two years old Macbook with a 5 years old processor, and so I was wondering if it worth to wait for the new 2017 series (which should have the new processors but also touch bar and USB-C).

So, can anyone here give me some advice?? Is it better for me to wait?? Or to buy a Late 2015?? Is it really so noticeable the performance difference??

Thanks guys ;)

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The 2015 15" rMBPs are great and still very powerful. In fact the CPUs benchmark slightly higher than the 2016s.

Don't worry about when the CPU was released. Intel have released new mobile chips with less performance than a decade-old Core 2 Duo. So release date doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

You can get some cracking deals on the 2015 15" and that would be the best machine for you if you're not fond on the 2016.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

For 4K video editing with Adobe software (Final Cut Pro is a lot faster on a Mac), you'll want the best dGPU you can get, which is in the 2016. Generally the 2016 is more than noticeably faster for video editing, sometimes as much as 50-90% faster in tests I've seen. Part of the reason for this is that the 2015 throttles more easily than the 2016.

Keep in mind that it's hard to find a new 2015 with a dGPU now.

A reason to wait for the next MBP could be that the H.265 standard will have CPU hardware acceleration. That many not happen until late in the year, though.

Scrubbing video with the touch bar is pretty popular with video editors.

The USB-C ports are a lot more powerful than the older ports.

4. MacbookAlex macrumors member

MacbookAlex

Ciao Mark,

As I happen to own a mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15, I can say that the performance is incredible. Mine is the base line model and is more than capable of handling video editing. If I were you, I would go for it and buy the mid 2015 Macbook Pro. You will not be disappointed, and in my experience it is sometimes best to stay in the past with Apple. Also, the brand new macbook pros are more likely to have unreported issues that the known 2015 ones.

Buona fortuna.

Alex

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Are you editing 4K video in Premiere?

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

There are several options open to you especially using Adobe software that is cross platform

If you do not really need the portability of a laptop for your professional needs then a desktop plus modest laptop can give you greater options to expand with your business, better upgradability and ability to spread costs etc etc plus back-up should one or other system go down at a key stage, most likely within the same budget as a full spec tbMBP 15

However going a solo laptop route then the 2015 MBP is a fine choice as it will be leaps and bound above your 2008 model and leave significant cash over to invest in other aspects of your business (eg lens etc) with a lessor hole in your pocket as all your current gear is compatible.

You will be happy in the future when you will eventually upgrade to newer/latest specs as your business grows by having spent wisely now across your business than opting for the tbMBP that would simply be a few seconds faster sometimes and can add 2 more monitors over the norm.

Best of luck

7. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

If you're fine with what you have now and you're unsure, then it's probably a good idea to take a wait and see approach. Editing on a desktop is almost always going to be faster on a similarly priced laptop, so I'd at least wait and see what the next iMac is going to look like.

If you do end up getting a MacBook Pro for video editing, then I'd get the 15 inch model since it has a dedicated video card.

8. generationfourth macrumors newbie

generationfourth

If I were editing 4k on a large 4k/5k monitor(s) I would go for the 2016 touchbar.

I returned a 2016 for a refurb 2015 15". I saved a ton of money which let me get a 27" 4k monitor. For everything I do (photoshop, illustrator, sketch, etc) it does really well with a 4k monitor. When it comes to CPU/GPU intensive tasks like editing large photos in Lightroom the machine starts to crawl.

I don't edit video but if I were editing 4k videos I'd want the most CPU/GPU power available.

9. MacbookAlex macrumors member

MacbookAlex

No, however any iMovie video editing in the past has been a breeze.

10. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I agree with that, the chip numbers, clock speeds etc mean little nowadays.

11. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yes, naturally, but the OP wants to sometimes edit 4K in Adobe programs. For that, the best dGPU is the best investment.

12. Mark903 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mark903

Thanks guys for your answers, the problem right now is that I have to buy only brand new computer, no second hand or refurb, and the only mbp retina that are still going on productions are the late 2015, with no dedicated gpu that I think is kinda fundamental for video and photo editing.
    At the same time, some reviews says that tbMCPs are not that good with video editing and they really struggle with 4K video editing.
    I really don't know what to do now:confused:

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Really?? I haven't seen anything that says they are anything but epic at video editing for a small slim light laptop. Especially in FCPX they literally blow everything but the biggest heaviest laptops away.

Take a look at this comparison of the 2015 vs 2016 for 4k video editing, the 2016 is 24% faster in premiere but 93% faster in FCPX.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/video-editing-performance-2016-macbook-pro-really-faster-old-one-157948

Take away what you will from this but using software optimised for your hardware seems the best option to me.