New Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Check 6, May 31, 2009.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

Question: The local Apple store attempted to upgrade the tiger operating system on my slightly over a year old Macbook Pro to leopard, well it did not go well. First elements of the mail program were lost and that was only the beginning. Each time they tried to correct an issue they created another problem. Bottom line they are now suggesting I upgrade to a ne Macbook pro at no cost. So the questions. !. is the new Macbook pro overall better? I know it is slightly slimmer and the case is partially alum. What about graphics card? memory and size of hard drive.

The manager has been very "upfront" and professional and the techs very polite but the bottom line is they have been "playing" with the laptop for several weeks and it just seems to get worse despite all their good intentions

I will admit from almost 30 years playing with computers, upgrading an operating system without wiping the hard drive and doing an "original" instal will lead to issues.

So back to the question, improvements and or shortfalls with a new Macbook Pro over mine. Thanks

2. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

A free upgrade is pretty rare! I would take it.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well do you want your old F'd up MBP back or a new machine with no problems?

I hope you had your data backed up well on the old machine...

4. yatz macrumors newbie

I would take the new uMBP over the older one any day. The build quality is second to none, a real stand out in the crowd. As for graphics cards, there are two, depending on your usage and requirements you can change between the two (not on the fly, have to log out to change). The speakers are better in my opinion, the body is thinner, though slightly heavier!! Comes with DDR3 RAM, better processor, larger hard drive, glass trackpad with 4 finger gestures (very very handy). You would be starting with a fresh install of Leopard, which will be nice.

5. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did a back-up right before the saga started. Hopefully I will hear from the store manager today. The only downside my book is that my old Mbp had the matte screen and the new ones are glossy like my Imac. Oh well we shall see. I appreciate the comments

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

"the new case is partially aluminum"

Dude, the entire case is aluminum! As a result of it's construction (it's made out of a single brick of aluminum), it's very strong and durable as well - another benefit.

7. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

TAKE IT, and dont look back.
    the uMBP has been the best machine i have used in a long long time

8. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

There's always the Anti-Glare option on the new 17" UMBP. I just bought one yesterday and have been very pleased with it. Prior to this, I had the 15" UMBP and the glossy screen became distracting as I started using it outside more. I don't know why Apple chose to make it a $50 option though. :rolleyes:

9. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Based on what i've heard, if you rely on firewire at all for audio interfaces then DONT get the UMBP. The chipset it uses is less than adequate.

Further, if I were you i'd try to stall as long as possible. Tell them you will get back to them and wait about a week. Why? WWDC of course. It could be a minor speed bump, or it may be as earth shattering as a 13" macbook pro, dual firewire ports, or something cool. Still, you'll get the latest and greatest.

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I am not a fan of the MBP screen either, but I would trade my MBP for a new uMBP if it were free in a heartbeat.

12. kauthor macrumors newbie

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm guessing you had a 15" MBP then by your comments as the UMBP 17" has a matte screen option?

You didn't say what size MBP you had in the first post...

14. magamo macrumors 6502

Free upgrade to uMBP? It sounds like a no-brainer to me.