New MacBook - problem with external display...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alex M, May 1, 2008.

1. Alex M macrumors newbie

Hey there, new member and Apple owner.

Recently picked up a new 2.4 Ghz Macbook, upgraded the memory to 4 GB off the bat - very impressed so far.

Last night I decided to pick a an external monitor. I chose a Samsung 24", I do a lot of design work, so size is important.

Now, I've run into my first problem...

I've connected the monitor via mini-DVI to DVI (with the adapter). This works fine, it detects it, and I can get a resolution of 1920x1200. However, the problem is that the menu/fonts/icons all appear to be fuzzy/grainy. Basically it appears as though everything has suffered a quality loss. Nothing is very "crisp" looking.

I've done a few searches here and have found similar problems, but no real resolution. I read something about display mirroring - which I am doing. Would this have an affect on anything?

Right now my displays (the internal and external) are running seperate resolutions. The internal looks great, everything is perfect. It's just the external that looks like garbage, well, maybe not garbage - but definitely not great.

Has anyone encountered and resolved this issue? I'm debating returning the monitor for a different one.

Thanks in advance...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you still mirroring or running both displays at their native resolutions? Keep in mind LCDs look fuzzy at any resolution but their native ones.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Close the lid on the MacBook... that's what I had to do, and then it worked fine. (but my native was only 1440x900)

4. Alex M thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.

I am still mirroring the displays, and both are running in their native resolutions. I haven't tried closing the MB, I was under the impression it would go to sleep (and then I wouldn't be able to use the external monitor). I'm at work now, so unable to try this out at the moment.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll need an external keyboard and mouse to use your laptop in clamshell mode. It'll turn off the onboard display and let you use the 24" only.

6. Alex M thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard setup. So you had the same issue, with type/icons/imagery being fuzzy, and this solved it for you?

I'll have to try this out.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm still a bit unsure of what you're trying to do. Do you want one or two monitors?

If you mirror the MacBook onto your 24" LCD then it's going to be at 1280 x 800 instead of its native 1920 x 1200.

8. Alex M thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, maybe it's not mirrored.

I was under the impression it was, I saw that setting ticked off in the display preferences. The external is also listed as 1900x1200 as well, but it does seem rather large now that I think about it.

Ideally I'd like to not use my MB monitor, and just use the external. Should I not be using the "mirroring" to do this?

This is all relatively new to me.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just close the lid and use it in clamshell mode then.

10. Alex M thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds so simple, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for the help.