New MacBook Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BRIANxJAY, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BRIANxJAY macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

So I bought my MacBook Pro on Saturday, and while I was updating everything that had to be updated, the book froze on me twice. And also, even if my laptop is fully charge it still only shows 98 % battery. Should I bring it back in?

2. orfeas0, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about the battery thing. After it reaches ~95% it stops charging to avoid spending charging cycles (and thus lowering your battery's life expectancy).

The freezes on the other hand are not normal. Is it overheating when freezing (105c +) ?
    Try using SMCfancontrol if that's the case (it lets you control your macbook's fan speed). Otherwise bring it to the apple store and tell them it's freezing and let them take a look at it or give you a new one.

3. joshaarons macrumors newbie

joshaarons

i agree and disagree

you are 100% correct about how the battery charges. However, I don't rec. SMC fan control because the fans are set to go at a specific speed based on temperature.

When you saw "froze" can you be a bit more specific as to what happened. Did the screen freeze, or did you get a grey screen across the display, etc?

4. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

When the Mac freeze, I can not move the mouse or anything. I would have to hold onto the power button to turn it off and back on.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal. For an explanation of why, read the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Overheating will not cause a Mac to freeze, as the OP described. It will cause it to shut down. If a Mac is truly overheating, resetting SMC will not solve the problem. You reset the SMC if the fans are spinning at a high rate without increased heat.

OP, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. If it freezes again, check to see if you can use the trackpad, even if the mouse doesn't work. If so, the issue may be with your mouse. If neither the keyboard nor trackpad work, the "freezing" is most likely a runaway process or possibly a hard drive problem.

6. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

Since my Mac is less then a week old, should I take it in?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the other suggestions I made to troubleshoot the problem? You may be able to diagnose and fix the problem without having to make a trip to the Apple store. If you prefer to take it in, that's certainly an option.

8. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

The Apple store is in a shopping center, since I am going shopping Sunday. I am going to bring it in.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

that means he didnt follow the suggestions

10. BRIANxJAY thread starter macrumors member

BRIANxJAY

Well since it is only a week old, I might as well just bring it in since I am going to be near the store anyways. Maybe that could be the problem maybe not, I don't want to risk it so I might as well get a replacement.