New Macbook problems, won't sleep and keyboard freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmoney468, Feb 7, 2008.

1. tmoney468 macrumors 6502a

I bought my mom a Macbook on Jan 21st and I've experienced these problems several times. Last night, I tried to sleep the Macbook but it wouldn't go to sleep, I eventually had to shut it down to turn it off. I closed the lid, the white light on the front came on, and then after about 20-30 seconds, it made a noise and the apple on the back of the screen lit up and it came back to life. I tried to sleep from the menu bar and it wouldn't go to sleep either.

There wasn't anything plugged into the laptop like a mouse or anything else, so I don't know what would be causing it to do this. I have a MBP and have never had a problem like this.

Another problem I have that has been widely discussed here is that the keyboard freezes every so often and it gets to the point where it's annoying. It happened at least 3 times yesterday alone when my mom was trying to work on her thesis. I saw that there was a firmware update that supposedly fixed this, but my Macbook is new enough that it doesn't need that update.

Is this Macbook defective? I'm thinking I may have to bring it into a Mac store sometime this weekend and have it looked at if I can't get these problems solved. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

2. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Not sure about the sleeping issue, but the keyboard issue was fixed with a previous update. Do a software update.

3. tmoney468 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is nothing available under the software update. I remember when I first got the laptop home I did the software update and it had the 10.5.1 OS X updated and a couple others and I installed those...there wasn't any mention of a fix for keyboard freezing issues in any of the updates.