New Macbook Pros 2010 Speculation (Specs, Add-ons, etc)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Payin, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Payin macrumors newbie

Payin

Hello everyone, I wanted to start by saying I'm new to the forums and this is my 1st post. Since I am in the market for a new MBP, and I can't wait for them to come out I've been doing some research around the web and also in retail stores ie. BestBuy, Apple Stores.

So here are my speculations for the new MBP: If we don't see the upgrade by the end of Feb or towards the beginning of March then most likely I would assume we would have to wait for the WWDC for some announcements, hopefully around June.

"An email gotten out from the Apple employee that manages the retailers accounts and said that the new Macbook Pros with the I5 Arrandale processors should be out in the stores by Wednesday the 20th" I found this online on another blog but I highly doubt it will be that early. :confused:

Let me mention I am also a BestBuy Employee (no not from inventory) but from the GeekSquad so this are my speculations regarding the specs and the way Apple makes their laptops.

CPUs
    Both "white" Macbook and entry level Macbook Pros 13'' could be coming with Intel's Arrendale Core-i3-3xx.

The higher end 13'' MPB and 15'' might be coming with Intel's Arrendale Core-i5. Keep in mind that Apple has a contract with Intel and this Arrendale CPUs are specifically made for Apple which has ordered them with no integrated GPU, so we can expect to see some Nvidia or ATI dedicated GPU.

The 17" MBP might come with Intel's Arrendale Core-i7-Mxx editions. All i7 with "M's" on their brand name are NOT true Quad-core those would be the Core-i7-UMxx. Cross-Fingers for an Upgrade option to a true Quad-core CPU.

The reason for my madness is because Apple is very concerned about Battery life (the 7hrs we getting on our 2009 models) and heat. The Arrendale CPUs have a TDP (thermal design power) range of 18W to 35W which would keep our beloved long battery lives on our Macbooks.

The Macbook Air is also getting some upgrades but I'll leave that for another day.

RAM

I'm speculating the lower end MBP models will be coming with 4GB DDR3 1066MHz and the higher end 15'' and 17'' MBPs will be getting a standard of 8GB upgradable to 16GB DDR3.

HDD

We are still going to see the SSDs but for standards HDDs capacity will start at 500GB. Optional upgrades to 1TB and 1.5TB.

Optical Drive
    I'm hoping its not the same SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) hopefully something faster. Now regarding Blue-Ray player. I could start a whole trade debating whether to put it or not but I think the smart thing to do would be for People to see if they want the BDP and Apple to offer it as an "upgrade."

And lastly Display
    I am guessing if we do get a Blue-ray player, that Apple's LED will come with higher resolutions for the 15'' and 17''

What I cannot find much info on is on the type GPU that the new MBPs are going to have, is Apple going to stay with Nvidia? or are we going to see a return of ATI's GPUs on our Macbooks again?

Well there ya go, feel free to post your thoughts and other speculations. Bottom line is, I cannot wait for these bad boys to come out! :D

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

All it takes to lose credence is one oversight/wishful thinking, and in this case 1.5TB laptop drives do not exist yet.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Thank god. Finally, someone created a MBP speculation thread. And all it took was a noob.
    :rolleyes:

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

The white MacBooks have only recently had an update, so it is unlikely thye'll get another one so soon. The next update is almost certinaly only going to be for the MacBook Pro laptops, which will be used to widen the almost non-existant difference between the 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro.

5. robfromabove macrumors regular

That would be tits if they came standard with 8 GB of RAM, but I don't foresee RAM prices being low enough to offer in their new laptops while keeping the price point the same as the current C2D MBP's.

Also, as far as screens go, I can all but guarantee we'll see IPS displays being utilized. Not sure if resolution will be bumped, but I figure if they can do it on a $499 device they sure as hell can do it on a $1100+ device. :D

6. vant macrumors 65816

Really? Another speculation thread? Does it not occur to posters that one of the thousands of members might have just posted one already?

Jesus there is literally a new one everyday.

7. Sanderr macrumors regular

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'm predicting that this thread is going to b wastelanded in 3... 2... 1...

9. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

A very good first-forum-post/thread/roundup-speculations but do we really need a new thread every day about the upcoming MBPs? :(

MAIN THREAD

Thanks. :eek:

10. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

You're the best newbie I've ever seen who actually searches before posting. Well done for a relatively new member. ;)

11. DaWooster macrumors member

True, but if C2D chips are getting terminated in March, then that means that Apple's going to need to update their lines across the board. iMacs, Mac Minis, MacBooks, Airs, and Pros.

12. DJ90 macrumors member

13. mesq macrumors member

* edit* I just posted a narky post but realised everyone had done it already... go team.

14. smc333 macrumors regular

No way the low end 15" and 13" go quad core. That would make Apple's laptops have quad core cheaper than their "desktop" iMac.

15. Sanderr macrumors regular

Don't forget the mobile quad-cores don't deliver the same performance as the desktop ones.

16. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I agree with the 1.5TB HD option & 16GB of Ram. We'll also find these options in the revamped air.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    He's a newbie or recently banned? ;)

18. Payin thread starter macrumors newbie

Payin

I joined because this Site is more up-to-date than all the others. Also I did look at other posts I am just selfish and wanted my own. :eek:

And yes for Hard Drives I am waaay off but we can hope right? :rolleyes:

Regarding the ports ie. USB 3.0, Apple will be getting Light Peak soon, "an optical interconnect for mobile devices that can run as fast as 10Gbps. That's fast enough to do everything from storage to displays to networking, and it can maintain those speeds over 100-meter runs, which is pretty astounding."

Maybe we'll see some USB 3.0 ports mixed with a Light Peak Port?

19. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Enlighten us about your thoughts re the MBA. Speculations are fun...

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Was talking about Diwali :p I like your thread, it's great :D

21. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Groan.

I just want them to come out so everyone can start up the next thread about what generation will be coming out, what they hate about these ones, how they won't give Apple anymore business etc, when bluray will be coming out, and then the dreaded "should I buy now or wait" posts, even though they just came out the day before.

I guess these posts don't get killed because the more hits and postings on the site the more MR can charge for those banner ads on the pages!

22. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

1) The biggest laptop HDD I found was 640GB from a quick Newegg search. 1TB and 1.5TB drives do not exist.
    2) Apple will never offer the option to remove the DVD drive in favor of a hard drive or battery.
    3) 8GB will not be standard. It is cost prohibitive.
    4) No blu-ray support. Apple said that the blu-ray code is "a mess." Not happening this half of the year.
    5) No higher resolution than 1920x1200 on the 17". Maybe an upgrade on the 13" or 15". If the 17" went higher than 1920x1200, then we need true resolution independence.

23. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

that's what happens, when people post things without quoting those, who know at least something.

1.5 HDD, Jesus christ.
    In lower models there will be 250 MOST likely. 320 possible. But 500 are expensive to be put into low end models.

24. irrªtiºnal macrumors member

irrªtiºnal

LOL, don't worry bro, we all respect newbies here... I've been around for 4 years now and I'm still a noob... :p

25. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

It's Forum-Culture! :D