new macbook pro's battery life sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitallegend, May 25, 2015.

1. digitallegend macrumors member

digitallegend

I've had my 2015 macbook pro 13inch (base) for 10 days now. apple says we can browse the web unto 10 hours with screen brightness set to 75%. The battery lasts nowhere near 10 hours. more like 6 hours

this is how i use the macbook.
    1. screen brightness at 37.5% (6 clicks from the bottom)
    2. mostly web browsing ( i had flash installed but deleted it)
    3. if I'm not using safari then either using messages , FaceTime (making phone calls through my iPhone 6) and lastly the 2015 Microsoft office beta.
    i checked activity monitor and none of these drain a lot of battery except for safari.
    4. don't use the backlight on keyboard bcoz I'm using it in daytime.

the battery's full capacity is 6531 (mAh) which is normal (i think)
    also I've had no issues with lag

should i return it and get another one? i still have 5 days left.
    how long does ur battery last ? does anyone else have the same issues? how can i fix it?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You are probably browsing too fast and scrolling the web page ;)

The thing with those battery life tests is they run a script that loads a webpage every 40 seconds and sits still in between. This is NOT how a human surfs the web. Rendering the page every 40 seconds takes a split second of power and next it goes into ultra power saving mode. A human will scroll which by itself needs quite a lot of GPU and CPU power. A human also does not load a page and sits still for 40 seconds reading it. You will probably click the next link long before it or scroll while reading before 40 seconds are up.

For all these reasons the only people that will see the same battery life are slightly retarded extremely slow humans. What you get is what you get in battey life. There is nothing wrong you just expect too much honesty from the marketing department. To be fair in the past battery life test have been even more unrealistic. You will probably get 10h reading a pdf.

3. Borisdk macrumors newbie

I got a 2015 MBPr 13.3" aswell, 5 days old..:

I use 10 click from bottom, screen brightness.
    And when I search (like now), with safari, 6 windows open - I get 10:15 hrs with 96% battery. My mAh seems to move - sometimes I have 6851 as max and, sometimes like now I have a max of 6671 - I don't know how come it moves?! (Maybe any could explain).
    When I use just office, I get around 14 - 15 hrs.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

People need to realize that not all browsing is equal.

5. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

This is not unique to Apple. Every laptop I have ever purchased over the years has never lived up to their advertised battery life. I expect half half of anything advertised, anything over is a bonus.

6. digitallegend thread starter macrumors member

digitallegend

yeah but every who has reviewed it has gotten great battery life. even up to 12 hours!

7. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

If you're using Chrome, then approx 6 hours of battery life is 'normal', Chrome is pretty bad on OS X, it's resource hungry.

With Firefox/Safari, I get 8-10 hours, that's with WiFi on, 75% brightness-ish, even still get that much with Netflix (with HTML5 using Safari), if I don't browse much and spend time with web design/development, then I get 12 hours, I've seen 13-14 hours once or twice.

I've had my rMBP for 2 months now, I've used it extensively every day, no issues with battery life unless I'm using Chrome or running Virtual Machines but that's normal.

8. digitallegend thread starter macrumors member

digitallegend

it moves up and down by max 200 mAh. i don't know why? and obviously over time it will go down.
    whenever i am charging my battery to 100% i go to system report then power and when its says battery is fully charged then i unplug. i don't depend on the battery percentage on desktop.

----------

i know that but lets say were both "only" browsing the web using "only" safari with brightness set to 75%. lets say u get 10 hours of use. then i should get around that. not 6 hours which is what I'm getting
    even though our browsing is different it can't be that much different to justify 4 hours of less battery.

----------

How did u calculate battery life? did u simply give me number what the macbook told u. or did u actually time it using a stopwatch (thats what i did) ???

----------

how did u calculate battery life?

9. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I don't actively calculate it, I usually go by the time when I start using it when it's at full charge to when I need to charge it.

Over few weeks it's been consistent, 8-10 hours before I need to charge.

If you don't use Chrome and you're getting 6 hours of use, even without much use, something's not right.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I have a hard time believing the 12 hour battery claims some members make here. I don't see how it's possible.

11. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

It is possible if you don't do anything demanding at all and under the right circumstances.

Most people who claim they see 12+ hours probably left the machine idle for a while then checked the battery status, at this point it usually reports a huge amount of battery life remaining. It's also possible to get that much if you don't open anything demanding and only use apps that takes up almost no resource, like a text editor.

The battery indicator isn't the best way to measure the battery life, do something very demanding for 5 mins? It'll report 4 hours of battery remaining, do nothing for the next 5 mins? It'll report 12 hours, and so on.

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Sitting idle between uses shouldn't count towards total system use.
    I charge mine every other day. Should I claim 20 hour battery life if it sits idle for 12 hours?

13. diesel macrumors 6502a

You might have some apps loaded at startup that might have an impact....only you know. Before you return it though I suggest you wipe and reinstall iOS and without loading any apps test the battery time with your browsing.

14. digitallegend thread starter macrumors member

digitallegend

exactly the the battery indicator isn't very realiable for measuring battery life.

----------

so do u use it contunisly use it for 8-10 hours

15. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

this does seem to usually be the case with laptops i feel like

16. Idarzoid, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Yeah, since it's the only computer I have.

As someone else suggested, trying reinstalling OS X and see if it helps with your battery, if it doesn't, then you probably got a defective model, I've seen few cases of new rMBPs not lasting as long as it should.