New Macbook Pro's coming in October event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neilpric, Aug 15, 2015.

1. neilpric macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm in the market for a new 15in retina macbook pro, but with the macbook update, it looks like they will be rolling out redesigned macbook pros soon doesn't it? with the slimmer keyboard,etc.
    Should I bite the bullet and buy a macbook pro now, or should I wait?

Thanks in advance.

2. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

In the same boat. Would gladly wait two months for a new Macbook.

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

They may roll out some new MacBook Air units before the end of the year or maybe even a new 13in MBP but they just upgraded the 15in MBP in May. Historically Apple has never released another new MBP that soon after the last launch. Also, The chips they want to use will not be available until early 2016 for the 15in. The 13in may have a release as the U chips will be ready but the 4 core chips for the 15in will be next year.

4. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet

I'll defer to more seasoned observers, but likely late Summer/Fall intros include iPhone and iPad updates with potential new members, iMacs and an ATV. I'd think a MBP update could be fairly significant maybe even including a new form factor. Would it be unusual for them to have another significant update such as the MBP in the same time frame?

On the other hand, it seems like there are more deals on MBPs than Airs or MBs. Perhaps I'm reading tea leaves that are just tea leaves though.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you need a new computer now, buy one now. If you can wait, then wait.

Apple just released updated rMBPs in May. The next update will most likely happen when Skylake chips are available.

6. neilpric thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres also the point that with an update, they will probably just make it thinner, slightly faster processor, usb c ports which require adapters, and add that thinner keyboard people aren't sure about. Is that worth waiting for?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What update will they do? The 47 watt Skylake processor used in the 15" MBP is not on Intel's roadmap yet, i.e., no schedule for the release. That being the case I doubt we'll see any new 15" MBPs this year.

8. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

To be clear, the 13" was also updated in May.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not if you need a computer now. The currently available rMBP models are great computers. If you want something thinner and lighter, check out the MacBook or MacBook Air. If you want USB-C, check out the MacBook.

The 13" rMBP was updated in March when the new MacBook was announced.

10. TheIguana, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

My magical crystal ball says: this is a rumours forum and no one here knows for sure what Apple will do.

If you need a new computer to get work done now buy now, if your current computer gets the job done wait until it doesn't get the job done anymore.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You don't need magic to predict the future when you've got data.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

Based on historical data, there will not be an upgrade until early next year.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And the 13 inch chips are stated as being next year.

13. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat (waiting for SkyLake 15" rMBP), and I realize that most likely I will have to wait until Q1 or even Q2 2016. That's OK, I can still drag my old MBA 13" a bit longer.

14. mickeydean macrumors 6502

It might happen. iPad 4 came out soon after. The supply chain would be a clue.

15. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet

That's your interpretation of some of the data.

Here's part of the conclusion from that same buyer's guide:

Quad-core Broadwell processors appropriate for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro were announced by Intel in June, meaning Apple could go with a fairly short update cycle and release new models perhaps around its usual October iPad and Mac event.

16. wct097 macrumors 6502

Actually, it you look back historically, Apple's tends to update their processors based on Intel's release cycle, not Apple's own previous releases.

Early 2011 - 2635QM - Released January 2011
    Late 2011 - 2675QM - Released October 2011
    Mid 2012 - 3615QM - Released April 2012
    Early 2013 - 3630QM - Released Sept 2012 * mid-cycle spec bump
    Late 2013 - 4750HQ - Released June 2013
    Mid 2014 - 4770HQ - Released July 2014
    Early 2015 - 5257U - Released Q1 2015 (13", not 15" since procs aren't out)
    Mid 2015 - 4770HQ - Released Q3 2014 * mid-cycle spec bump (15" only)

Three times in the last 5 years have they released an updated 15" MBP that used a proc older than a couple months. Two of those were mid-cycle spec bumps that were probably tied more to availability than release date. Can you cite a single instance in recent history where Apple has delayed releasing a proc update longer than a couple months after the new generation proc became available? I can't.

I maintain that Apple will release a Skylake powered MBP within a couple months of the appropriate Skylake procs becoming available. It's less of a guessing game with Apple and more of an issue tracking Intel's releases.

17. wct097 macrumors 6502

If you're going to base your opinion on said data, you should probably understand what it is and what it means. All the buyer's guide does is average the days between releases. First off, that's an average, which means that it doesn't take into account things like Intel's delays with Broadwell and the likelihood of Apple completely skipping Broadwell for the 15" models. If anything, Apple's release of the Haswell 15" spec bump a few weeks before an appropriate Broadwell proc was available is the most telling. They could have done the typical update to the new proc 2-months after it became available, but they chose to stick with Haswell. That suggests they'll do a Skylake update within a month or two of the appropriate procs being available.

So the real question isn't "how long since the last MBP update", but rather "when will Skylake mobile procs be available".

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Doubtful

Buy one now if you need one

I'm tempted to buy the pro 2015 refurbished from apple

19. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Mostof them do line up, but they did completely skip Haswel, effectively releasing the MBP 2 months before the 5th gen chips were ready. Now I don't believe they did that knowing it was two months away as Intel has had many setbacks with their chips. I do strongly believe there will be a refresh with Skylake around the same time it comes out. I just don't think the quad core "laptop" chips needed for the 15in MBP will be out before the end of the year.

20. wct097 macrumors 6502

I think you mean that they completely skipped Broadwell by releasing the Haswell update to the 15", but point taken and I agree. I personally don't know or have any clue about Intel's release schedule. I'm hoping they drop this year so I can get one as a tax write-off this year, but I'm just as happy waiting until next year if needed.

21. mickeydean macrumors 6502

USB C will be a good reason for a new form factor.

22. idoccurt macrumors regular

I'm anxious...especially to see if new Thunderbolts come out.