New macbook pros coming up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pkiula, May 1, 2008.

1. pkiula macrumors member

Hi, I'd like to know if this is the right time to buy a Macbook Pro? I am looking for a good 17 inch machine and I notice that the XPS from Dell even has some new things like the solid state drive and such. When is Macbook Pro coming out with something like that (not in "Air" kind of BS which is bound to have heating problems down the line for any power user) ? Thanks for any pointers.

2. mattingly macrumors newbie

Read around, use the search function.

There are lots of "speculations" of a new, redesigned MBP along with a new aluminum MacBook.

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

In short - Intel will update their mobile platform at the beginning of June (already officially announced), after that it will take some time for Apple to adopt these upgrades, but it's pretty certain that by July there should be new MacBooks out there.

Things are less clear as far as SSDs are concerned - they have been available for quite some time and it's completely up to Apple to decide whether they will include them in their MBP lineup or not.

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

5. nixtacy8 macrumors newbie

Wow... What's with all the hostility? Given Apple's track record of updating products, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't update until the beginning of '09. Especially with a complete redesign of the enclosure...

6. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Just incase and as it's not long away, I'm going to wait until WWDC in June. I currently have use of my gf's macbook, but come end of June i've got a big job to do. So whatever the MBP is come then, i'll be buying it!

Got my fingers crossed, but dont hold much hope.

7. gangzoom macrumors member

After 8 years and 6 months my G3 Pismo Powerbook finally died last week, and yesterday i picked up the current 15inch 2.5GHZ MacBookPro and couldn't be happier...:D

Ok the track pad could do with been bigger, but using "pinch" and "swipe" in Safari is so cool :cool:

Am sure at some point a new/better laptop will come out, but if this MacBookPro lasts as long as my old G3 Powerbook ill wouldn't be looking to replace till about 2015.:D..hopefully by than Steve and the team will have figured out how install OSX onto my TV remote :apple:

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Its a new paradigm with Apple upgrading based on Intels schedule, not
    theres. They are inclined to update now much more often as boards and chips evolve. They cannot just stay with old chips while competitors change.
    However, the incremental improvements are more modest compared to
    what we're used to.

So yes, hold off as long as you can. It getting better and cheaper all the
    time for what you get.