New Macbook Pros do NOT use Optimus.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Err0xx, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Err0xx macrumors member

To those of you that were scoffing at Apple for claiming that the graphics switching technology was theirs when it was really Nvidia's Optimus, you are quite wrong.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/inside-apples-automatic-gpu-switching.ars

Check out this article; the changes that Apple implemented are much more efficient and even handled by OSX instead of Nvidia software. This helps explain parts of the battery power gains and this provides great hope for future implementations of this kind of technology.

Err0xx

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea I already knew that but Apple's automatic switching gpu method is better than the optimus.

One key difference is that on the optimus, when the dedicated gpu is used, the integrated gpu does not shut off so it is more inefficient and drains battery life considerably. BUT on the apple's engineered version of their automatic gpu switching, the integrated gpu totally shuts off when the dedicated gpu kicks in.

I just got roughly 10 hours from my 17" i7 today from using it on campus and at home (actually had about 45 minutes more battery life left!). These new battery life is DEFINITELY much longer than advertised.

I use the 17" i7 mbp with 1 notch of battery life (plenty bright to see everywhere on campus, even outside on a led antiglare screen) with click2flash installed (this heavily saves battery life).