New Macbook pros? Or only Retina Macbook pros?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Jul 2, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I want to upgrade my 2011 Macbook pro but think the air just doesn't have enough memory for me and I want a ethernet jack as I live in Boston and with these old building wi fi isn't exactly reliable.

Are they discontinuing the non Retina Pro? I don't feel like paying an extra 400-500 for a screen. I usually upgrade every 2-3 years and the base model is more than enough for me.

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Just pick up the "discontinued" model when the time comes and don't fret over it. There always the refurb store. For now enjoy your machine.

3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Since your laptop is still fairly new I wold just wait to see if they continue the cMPBS. I they do buy the. If they don't snap up a refurbished ASAP.

4. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I am usually able to sell the 1-2 year old version for 100-150 less than I bought it for or even break even sometimes and just upgrade to the newest model.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Nice! Do you usually do that with the MBP 13 base?

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Reports.....

and rumors here and another sites suggest Apple wants to phase out the non-Retina MacBooks. But not sure if in any time that would be possible, based in the supplies and relationships with display makers Apple have. And less sure about the reality of Apple no covering the laptop market with affordable options, because not all people need Retina. But a lot like it....:D

:):apple:

7. SilverOath macrumors member

You can pick up a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter for like 20$. So you shouldn't consider that a barrier.

The Retina gives you a lot more than just the 'screen'. You also get the SSD which is a large performance increase, and it's lighter, more portable, and better graphics GPU unless you spend more for the higher tier cMBP. If you price out adding a SSD, upgrading the memory, etc you'll spend more for the cMBP than the rMBP.

The 2011 MBP (assuming a 15 quad i7) is still a really powerful machine and the improvements to the 2011 (are mainly the Retina )- the power increase is there, but I wouldn't consider a huge leap to justify upgrading for someone who only wants to do it every few years.