New MacBook Pros w/Lion - Is this true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revelated, Jul 27, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/rec...h-more-difficult-with-macs-shipped-post-lion/

Wait, what? But the optical is still there. Surely Apple doesn't expect customers to now PAY for the ability to restore their OS, right? Can you do Internet Restore?

So...no physical media, and no Internet Restore. So...a user would need to go into the App Store and just buy the...

So, basically, I have no choice but to ride my Pro and my iMac until their proverbial wheels fall off. Great. And as they die, I'll be forced to slowly but surely go back to the PC world unless Apple gets back in line and starts providing the OS in box again, be that DVD or USB, or even Internet Restore, I don't care. But there needs to be SOMETHING so I don't have to to the Apple Store in the event the as-yet-unknown SSD decides to die.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

3. Starry macrumors member

Starry

As of right now, only custom MacBook Pro's include the new Lion box, and Lion preinstalled. Nope, no backup disks, but I suppose you could visit a Apple store to restore. If it's too far, maybe Apple Care can help? The new boxes are great, and the new MacBook Pro's also include the new keyboard.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

For some reason I want that new keyboard haha.

5. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

I saw that CNet article but MacTrast claims he tried to access the partition with the key combination and got the flashing folder. Meaning there was no way to restore AT ALL. I'm trying to understand how that's possible if Lion is supposed to automatically create a restore partition, cause again, if for some reason the Pros that now come with Lion for some reason come with NOTHING to restore from, that's a problem and I would say one that would make me jump ship back to PC.

Now that I know the key to my computing happiness is essentially the solid state drive, it doesn't really matter what hardware I own. I buy Macs because I like the hardware and the support is upper crust...but I will cross the border if this scary rumor holds true.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

theres a new keyboard?

7. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Sort of. From what I think I heard it's different function keys-wise. I think. Idk for sure though

As for the OP, just find and burn the image of the OS on a disk or USB. Really not that hard. Or even torrent it.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

IF it's like the new MBA, the dashboard key has been replaced by the LaunchPad key. Trust me when I say, the dashboard key is much more useful than the LaunchPad.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you can restore if you are having issues and want to make it fresh...the restore partition is there even after you format your HD. It seems the issue is with computers that had a HD crash or wanted to install a new HD, and have a totally blank drive to install Lion on. In this case, there is no internet restore available, as the drive doesn't realize it's in a mac and the mac has nothing to boot from. I assume there is a small bit of logic board storage on the new MBA's that holds the necessary information for an internet restore, something that obviously hasn't been integrated into the new MBP logic boards yet

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

All my apps are in my dock. Is yours the same way too? I haven't used LP since I got Lion.

11. akhbhaat macrumors regular

As usual, what Apple tells you that you're supposed to do is different from what you can do if you just look around a bit. You can make your own hard copy of Lion from a .dmg contained within the very Lion installer that comes off of the App Store.

It isn't officially documented, but it's absolutely possible, and very easy to do:

Open the .app as an archive, go to /Contents/SharedSupport/ and extract "InstallESD.dmg" to another folder. Then you can burn it to physical media as you would any other disk image (using Disk Utility or what have you), or move it/back it up as you see fit.