New Macbook Pro's Way better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appleboy1717, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Appleboy1717 macrumors regular

Hey,
    So I have had about every model of Macbook pro since they came out with the core 2 duo. I love my current one which is the current $1999 15" model with an upgraded 320 7200rpm drive.
    It runs much cooler than the other models did, and seems very snappy.
    How are the video cards?
    I seem to be able to play COD 4 with no problems on full setting with the 9400M and with the 9600M GT it seems a little sharper, but the computer gets wicked hot. Is the 9600 a good card? Better than the 8600?
    Also, I scored only 2 points more on xbench for fps than I did with my G5 with the stock 5200fx (overclocked). 123fps. What gives there?

Anyways, anyone else have the current model and like it?

By the way. What did apple do to keep it cooler> Different chips?
    Also, does the 9600M GT have a fan? Or are there only the two fans in front?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Okay.

2. It's an okay card, but not very OpenGL capable as I have experienced today. I miss 3D labs.

3. In some regards it's better, but it's only a tiny evolution. MRoogle will give you plenty of threads about this issue.

4. I don't know.

5. Yes.

6. Yes, they have a lower TDP. As with almost every upgrade or refresh, new chips are used, indicated by the different names.

7. Yes, that's why there are two fans.

Plural's don't really need apostrophe's. It does look better though.

3. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the video card has a fan, or just the two fans up front?
    Yeah, I know they puts new chips in, I was wondering what made the new model run so much cooler.

4. archre macrumors member

archre

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What fans up front?

Both fans are in the rear.
    [​IMG]

Exhaust pipes:
    [​IMG]

The three chips, one is the CPU, one is the GPU and the other one is the Northbridge (includes the chipset and the 9400M):
    [​IMG]

The new chips run a little bit cooler due to the fans and also their lower TDP.

I assume you didn't get my sarcasm?

I think one of those grammar fascists, although they are called nazis. And although I'm no saint in the handling of the english language, I just don't like the butchering of any language, something the so-called "Deppen*-Apostroph" does to many.

* - fool, moron, dumbass, douche, retard, dipshit, ...

6. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Gonna bring this back from the dead.
    sorry I didn't reply sooner.
    I was just curious if anyone else really likes the new macbook pros over any of the previous models. Its obviously faster, but I just really like how much cooler is it (when the card is turned off) and the extra batt life.
    Anyone else have anything to say about these?

7. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

8. o2xygen macrumors regular

Revived.

Snap

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 08 MBP is about 10 (Celsius) hotter on the 9600m GPU then the 9400GPU. I typically run in the low to mid 40s on the 9400 and the 9600 runs about 50-55c w/o any major load on the cpu.

Didn't you just revive it by posting. Besides, the OP wished to continue the dialog, so if you don't care for the thread you could have moved on.

10. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    Yeah, I noticed similar gains. The only time I ever need the 9600 is if I am playing COD modern warfare, which I do not play very often, so I tend to leave it turned off. Really helps with the battery and the heat. I can actually use it on my lap.