New MacBook Purchase question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kdenton1, Jan 31, 2009.

1. kdenton1 macrumors newbie

I searched the forum and found some great information but not exactly what I needed. Buying a new MacBook for the kids...we already have an iMac and MacMini. I have found the previous model of the white MacBook (MB403LL/A new and from authorized reseller) with 2.4ghz and 160 gb HD for about $125 cheaper than the new white MacBook that sells for $999 (2.0ghz/120 HD). Both have 2gb of RAM. Would be interested in feedback as to which model to choose. Older model seems to be pretty good deal. Thanks

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

personally the video card would be a major selling point for me, but i do not know if your children will utilize the 9400M

3. LukeG macrumors newbie

I would recommend the new white macbook if they are going to use it to play games, apart from that I don't think they would notice much difference between the two doing everyday tasks like homework, listening to music, watching DVDs, browsing the web.

4. air-ick macrumors member

air-ick

I love the newer glass trackpad in the aluminum macbook. When ever i use anything else with buttons the trackpad seems so small now. I'd hate to have to go back to the old style.

Eric

5. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I suggest the newer MacBook, because of the updated Graphics card. If it is for the kids they will want to play games on it? Therefore they would need a computer that will be able to run that software without or with the fewest amount of glitches.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I also recommend the newer white macbook because when Snow Leopard comes out it will be able to use the GPU to process tasks in conjunction with the CPU. it will be like having more processors inside 1 computer. It will be faster all around. The only thing different with the old 2.4 MB is 400 megahertz faster on the Core 2 Duo intel processor. I don't think you will notice the increase in processor speed, but I you add another processor (GPU) it will be twice as fast.

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I agree with the guys above. The new one is definitely worth the 150$ if it's for kids who will be playing games. Even though for kids the alu one might be best, as the plastic ones crack VERY easily.

8. gamer2502 macrumors regular

definitely get the $999 one from apple because the video card slaughters the old one i mean it's literally 256mb nvidia card vs a 144mb intel card and even though the old one has 2.4ghz the 2.0ghz processor is actually faster because of the faster front side bus of the new white macbook:apple:

9. kdenton1 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Seems like you made your decision but I wanted to echo the sentiment to go for the new WB for the updated GPU.

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Go with the WB.

Your kids, presumably, don't need a fancy trackpad etc. You'd be wasting money.

I would just get them an entry level machine as they won't be doing anything intense for a while.

My 2 pennies worth.

12. jfan16 macrumors newbie

Go with the new whitebook. I just picked it up today and I gotta say, I am very pleased with my first ever mac purchase thus far.