New macbook purchase?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daviddsims, Dec 2, 2009.

1. daviddsims macrumors newbie

Guys I have a 13 inch macbook that I am going to give to the wife and buy a new 13 inch for me. I have tons of pics and songs on there that I want to transfer to my new one. When I give her the old one I would like it to be a fresh install of Snow leapord. Is this something fairly easy to do or should I look at getting the Apple store to do it?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's very easy. Just insert the restore disk and follow the instructions.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Right, and to transfer information you can either use Migration Assistant when you start your new Mac up for the first time or you can set up a Time Machine that will store ALL of your files, programs and settings to transfer to the new mac the first time it starts up as well.

If you don't want to transfer the first time you start up your new mac you can use Migration Assistant which is in your utilities folder by default. Either way you can do it via network (both macs just need to be set up to use the same router) or if you have a Time Machine it plugs in through USB or FireWire depending on what your drive uses.

Have you set up a Time Machine yet? I highly recommend it if you have invaluable information stored on your machine, your wife's as well.