New macbook questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishgrizzly, Jul 18, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I hear 10.4.10 plays merry hell with the macbook and wifi. I am going to buy my mum a new macbook tomorrow and don't want to update, so her first experience with a mac isn't be painful.

Out of interest, which version of the OS would come out of the box (4.6, 4.7 etc.)?

Secondly, I was wondering what programs people would recommend installing to make enjoy it more. I've got VCL, NeoOffice (she only does very light word processing so not going to buy Word yet) and a demo of Bridge Baron because she love the bridge. Can anyone suggest only other ones for someone who isn't very technically minded?

Thanks!

2. maclover007 macrumors member

good question. i just bought a macbook black 3 weeks ago and it came wit 10.4.9 . i did the software update and have had no problems with my wifi and i use it 100% of the time. i would do the software update if i wre u. good luck with u'r macbook!!!
    jake
    Macbook black 2.16 200gb 2gb
    30gb 5.5gen Ipod Video
    8gb Iphone!!!

3. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I've had 10.4.10 since it was released, I use my Macbook every single day for hours.

Never had 1 problem. Period. With ANY part of Macbook.

4. blvdeast macrumors regular

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

10.4.10 blows. I bragged and bragged about how excited i was to have a Macbook....6 days after the factory warrenty went out, i downloaded 10.4.10 and i've NEVER been able to keep my macbook connected to the internet unless it's plugged into the wall. If it's not plugged into the wall, i have to click the airport icon to "remind" my computer that i'm actually connected or it won't be online anymore. So much for portability.

Apple hasn't acknowledged the issue yet either. So all i can do is hope that Apple will put something out a patch that will fix my first apple product.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to 802.11n, hoping that'll work, but only time will tell.

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I have a CD BlackBook, and have had no issues with the 10.4.10

Depending on where you get the machine and how old it is, it'll either come with 10.4.9, or 10.4.10

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

the only problem i've had with macbook is connecting to the wireless...but once i've figured that out it's fine

8. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

I have a White CD MB with 10.4.10, and have never had ANY sound/hardware/software problems while using it.