New MacBook received!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yourdream, Oct 22, 2008.

1. yourdream macrumors regular

Ok I finally got my MacBook. Now I'm charging it and am going to have to figure out a few things first:

- How to repartition my LaCie hard disk (It's NTFS at the moment) so I can transfer music and movies into iTunes from my old Windows laptop.
    - Download and installing new applications (Should I use Safari or Firefox?)
    - Learning how to do certain stuff in Mac OS X.
    - How to make the battery last long. (Do I need to do a battery calibration?????)

Observations:

- Looks very nice
    - Much lighter then my old laptop
    - Mac OS X is much better then Windows after some use
    - glass trackpad feels very nice (need to get used to the clicking without bottoms though)
    - keyboard feels very nice
    - Glossy screen is cool

R.I.P Old Sony VAIO (8.04 pounds)

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

[Guess I was wrong]. As far as browsers, I use FF3 just because I'm so used to the keyboard shortcuts and plug-ins. For the trackpad, you can still "click" at the bottom, it works like a button!!

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yes it does actually, it won't see NTFS. You need to get a program, I forgot what it was.. damn. Search google.

It reads FAT drives fine however.

4. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

5. hawaiipoolman macrumors regular

Firefox is way better! Download MultiClutch for multi-touch browsing. Also, download foxmarks to sync your old bookmarks over to your new macbook.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704This will allow you to transfer your files over wifi and it is super fast.

great luck!

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I prefer Safari to Firefox. Uses less CPU and loads faster. And the smooth scrolling is nice.

7. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all your replies everybody.

One last question. (This may sound silly but)

How do you shut down the MacBook completely?

When I press shutdown from the top left (Apple logo)

It turns off but I can press the battery indicator and it would show me the lights.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to do that. The computer is still shut off.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Really? Well F-me.... :mad:

Edit: A quick googling says OS X can read, but not write NTFS...so if he just needs to get files, it should be okay, no?

10. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Yes, it can read NTFS. NTFS partitions show up on the desktop.

Whenever I use bootcamp, I always reformat its FAT32 partition to NTFS during the windows install.

11. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have any idea if I can use Disk Management on Windows XP (My Computer > Manage > Disk Management) to reformat to FAT32 or other different types of partitions?

12. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

If your partition is NTFS, it stays NTFS.. you could convert from FAT32 to NTFS, but you can't go backwards (safely, anyway.. and not only with windows.. you need third party software) without reformatting it.

Here's a post on the subject -

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1820

If you are concerned about being able to write to NTFS partitions in OS X, there are kexts (kernel extensions.. OS X verion of drivers) that allow it.

13. jade macrumors 6502

browsers?

I use camino instead of FF and Safari. It is also from mozilla, but a bit more os x like. Try it out!

www.camino.org