Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simondfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I just read an article on appleinsider, they think apple gona release their updated macbook nov.1 or before. is that sounds true? I just can't wait anymore.

MikeyWord

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
Yes. Im sick of waiting too. Im going to get one regardless on Tuesday.... or an iMac *GASP* I really want a notebook for the big switch but I just couldnt bring myself to buy something so old for the same price. Its going to be soon, but so is my bday! Come on Apple, for the birthday boy?

There was heaps of forum speculation over the MBP... two huge threads on it! But not for the MacBook! I want something to read =(

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Macbooks are nice, and C2D will just make it better.

We sort of know that Apple are ready to release... its just wait for the marketing. BAH!

MikeyWord

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
I think it will just be a processor swap like the MBP. Perhaps an 80gig HDD for the base models. I doubt that anything more than the current graphics card will be provided.

I think the next one is just a stop-gap for the holiday season, the real stuff will come next year.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I think it will just be a processor swap like the MBP. Perhaps an 80gig HDD for the base models. I doubt that anything more than the current graphics card will be provided.

I think the next one is just a stop-gap for the holiday season, the real stuff will come next year.

I recently purchased a refurb base model Macbook from the Apple online store. It shipped with an eighty gig hard drive. I don't know if that's a sign that Apple's doing away with the 60 gig, or if I just got lucky.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
No.

Apple will keep the Core Duo in the MacBook for as long as possible with maybe a speed bump because they want to be able to keep that gap between the MacBook Pros and the MacBooks. This is how Apple has always done it, and they'll continue to do so. Don't expect the MacBook to get a Core 2 Duo for quite a long time...

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
I recently purchased a refurb base model Macbook from the Apple online store. It shipped with an eighty gig hard drive. I don't know if that's a sign that Apple's doing away with the 60 gig, or if I just got lucky.

Could be..... wouldn't be surprised - 60 gig does feel inadequate if you want to install XP

Speaking of refurbished MB's. I've yet to see one turn up on the (Australian) Apple Refurbished site. There have been (and continue to be) various MBP's to buy at a discount, but it's puzzling to me why not a single MB has appeared. With the issues they have had (MB's) you would think they would be readily available as refurbs. Unless Apple here in this country need all the spare parts they can get their hands on and keep pilfering the bits.

I also think MB C2D's are so going to happen....

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Could be..... wouldn't be surprised - 60 gig does feel inadequate if you want to install XP

Speaking of refurbished MB's. I've yet to see one turn up on the Apple Refurbished site. There have been (and continue to be) various MBP's to buy at a discount, but it's puzzling to me why not a single MB has appeared. With the issues they have had (MB's) you would think they would be readily available as refurbs. Unless Apple here in this country need all the spare parts they can get their hands on and keep pilfering the bits.

Apple is most likely repairing the computers that are having problems rather than giving people completely new ones, so it's not likely that a refurbished machine is going to come through the system in that manner.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
C2D, actual graphics card, HDD boost, but I dont think it will get the C2D.
802.11n airport card is a must.

The MBs are way too close to the MBP as is, so don't get your hopes up for all of this. The most I expect is maybe the transition to C2D sometime in the future , but nothing more. Even the C2D bump no one can say when.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

C2D, actual graphics card, HDD boost, but I dont think it will get the C2D.
802.11n airport card is a must.

802.11n is a must? So it can run on the tens of already established n networks?

I'd much rather see a C2D in it than an n card. What would be the real world gain from an n card? Most networks can't even max out g speeds as it is...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
No.

Apple will keep the Core Duo in the MacBook for as long as possible with maybe a speed bump because they want to be able to keep that gap between the MacBook Pros and the MacBooks. This is how Apple has always done it, and they'll continue to do so. Don't expect the MacBook to get a Core 2 Duo for quite a long time...

I thought with the G4 the top iBook was sometimes faster than the 12" Powerbook, the Macbook will need Core2 to compete at it's price point, I think it will also get a HD upgrade to 80GB (100GB on the black), 1GB RAM, and Core-2 but the same number of Ghz. as with the iMac they might have a cheaper model with less stuff.

walleyealx

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2006
I think they need to put more RAM or a bett graphics are or something besides 20 more gb of hard drive (since that is sooo easily upgradable anyways). They need to make the 200 extra worth it!

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I don't think the MB's need 2 have the core2duo right now;) The average consumer won't notice the difference in speed, and it will eat into the sales of the MBP's.

MikeyWord

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
Perth, Western Australia

Nice! I live in Australia...so all the refurbs are MBP's and complete rip offs (well, compared to the education discount I get)

Random Passerby

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
I just read an article on appleinsider, they think apple gona release their updated macbook nov.1 or before. is that sounds true? I just can't wait anymore.

I called apple to ask what happened to my macbook which should have been shipped last week and they told me it wasn't due to ship until Nov. 1st. I don't know if it means anything.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Will work fine in many circumstances with a firmware update from Apple for all installed Airport Extreme cards to prioritise media streaming and signal robustness.

802.11n will not be ratified till 2008. Anything up until then will either be the current draft version or next year's draft version. 802.11g is fast enough but won't be good enough unless Apple update their 802.11g firmware to include some proprietary stuff that makes streaming of media the number one focus when streaming to the iTV.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
I don't think the MB's need 2 have the core2duo right now;) The average consumer won't notice the difference in speed, and it will eat into the sales of the MBP's.

I agree. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I only want the upgrade so the other issues with the MB will also get fixed. In fact if Apple just fixed those issues and dropped the price a bit, I'd be happy.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I thought with the G4 the top iBook was sometimes faster than the 12" Powerbook, the Macbook will need Core2 to compete at it's price point, I think it will also get a HD upgrade to 80GB (100GB on the black), 1GB RAM, and Core-2 but the same number of Ghz. as with the iMac they might have a cheaper model with less stuff.

If you go to http://www.xbench.com and look at some of the benchmarks, you will notice that some of the iBooks are nearly on par with the final revision of the 12"PB. However, the 12"PB with its 167mhz system bus always wins out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.