New Macbook Retina. Hmmm PCIe SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fortysomegeek, Jun 11, 2013.

1. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

The new Airs released are getting 750 MB/sec due to the fact they abandoned SATA and went directly to PCIe. I wonder if the new retinas will get PCIe SSD and Thunderbolt 2 along with HDMI 1.4 for 4K goodness.

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Of course it will get PCIe SSD's.

Don't know about Thunderbolt 2. Really hope it will be released within a few months.. Can't wait half a year to get it :(

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I think the new rMBP's will get both PCIe SSD's and TB2. They'll probably come out in October with the Tube. Should be amazing!

4. NStocks, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

NStocks macrumors 65816

I agree that some upgrades that Mac Pro has, the updated rMBP will get. Is the MBA RAM/SSD faster than the older MBA or faster than the rMBP? It wasn't too clear in the presentation what Phil was referring to with "2x faster".

I'm also wondering if Apple are going to slightly redesign the rMBP like the MBA... Tim Cook again said that "This will be the future of notebooks" or something like that when going over the MBA announcement. It would also be good if they source better quality displays.

I think if they take the MP and MBA as inspiration, this update could be pretty big!

Better RAM like MBA
    Thunderbolt 2
    Faster SSD like MBA
    Better screen quality
    Faster Wi-Fi
    Slimmer design like MBA
    New OS
    50% more battery
    New CPU
    New GPU
    New HD Facetime Camera
    $100 and $200 price drop respective on 13" and 15" models.

Least likely is the design since it was only changed 1 year ago.

The next major improvement will be with Skylake in 2015. Next years Haswell (Broadwell) is "Tock" and probably not that much of a difference to this years haswell "Tick"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

5. GlynG macrumors newbie

How likely is it that there will be a 1.6Tb SSD option with the upcoming rMBP? I'm not familiar with how often they go up.

I'm undecided as to whether to get a newer higher than retina windows laptop or the upcoming rMBP, but won't buy either till I can have a minimum of 1.6Tb in there.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

If for some reason there was a 1.6TB drive, expect is to be $1000+ upgrade..meaning it won't exist.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I think the ram in the new MBA is only supported in ultraportables, not laptops.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

All of the above makes sense but goes way beyond a typical "refresh" and silent announcement. Can't picture Apple doing this without some fanfare. I can only wonder how they'd do this.

Unless they shave off the .04 inches for the MBP13 to match the thickness of the 15" model.

9. NStocks macrumors 65816

It is quite a big update but perhaps Apple will hold a Special event when the release the Mac Pro, Mavericks and perhaps updated iMac? But there is also an iPhone event to be expected plus the annual iPod event... I can't really see them doing 3 events the next 6 months, heck even in the space of 3 months (Aug-Nov) with the release dates for the fall yesterday.

I really think there is some design inspiration coming from the MBA. Tim said again yesterday that it still inspires the next gen. of portable Macs...

10. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Nooooo! I like the form factor of the rMBP it's why I want it... Any more like the air and your gonna take a hit on ports like I'm loving the hdmi port and I really hope the haswell version will be the same at least for the 15"

11. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm not the designer at Apple!!!

But all they will/can do with the 15" is taper it down a little. It can't get thinner because of the size of USB/thunderbolt port size.

It is a great form factor, so light too but I think a taper will make it even better.

12. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm probably in the minority, but I hate the taper on the MBA (ditto for the iMac, which just looks silly). The lack of ports is a huge PIA, too. I currently have the 2008 Aluminum MB, and the lack of a S-Video, HDMI, and FW makes it truly annoying. So, whatever happens, I certainly hope your prediction is incorrect, haha.

13. NStocks macrumors 65816

But other than the aesthetic, the taper doesn't mean loss of ports. Sure the MBA has few compared to the rMBP, but Apple aren't going to reduce ports on this level of computer.

I think the taper is good for a reduction in volume so that when it's on your lap, it's not as square. I think it's incredible that they can taper it to such a small height (MBA is perhaps too small). Again, this is just based on the way Tim keeps mentioning the MBA as the next generation design.