New Macbook Scratched, Possibly Used?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roccoict, Mar 10, 2009.

1. roccoict macrumors newbie

Hi,

I received my new Macbook in the mail today after ordering it late last week. I did, however, notice a light scratch just above the mouse pad (below the spacebar). I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether or not my Macbook could have been opened or even used. I also noticed many small scratches on the power adapter.

Also, there are two PDFs (stacks and downloads) next to the trash bin. Their creation date is March 28th of last year. Is this a universal creation date or was it created on this Macbook? I'm guessing the former.

I'm new to Macs (as you can probably tell) so please don't ridicule me too hard.

2. nitra.candy macrumors newbie

no idea about the scratch but the two pdf files should be about what the stacks and download folder are for. its basically the same thing in each.
    at least that was in mine

3. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Hmm,
    I forget what my Desktop looked like when I bought my Macbook, but I don't remember any PDFs. But I'm positive that the hard drives and everything else should be brand new and that Apple installs the latest OS they have just before shipping. If you aren't happy with it, then call them up and tell them. They ought to replace it. I just purchased a new Macbook and it should arrive Thursday. If there is one big enough scratch on mine, I will complain and ask to have it replaced.

BTW, these computers are so nice, you might want to invest in one of those protector covers. But beware. I got one for my current white Macbook right after buying it, and the cover itself with it's tight fit ended up putting scratches all over the computer (esp. on the bottom). In fact, thinking about it, I'll post a thread to ask others.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

5. roccoict thread starter macrumors newbie

Nitra, just read the PDFs and it they state that it's part of the new look of Leopard and that they're meant to be on the dock. I think you're right: they should be there.

Jtibbitt, it's more of a permanent scuff mark than a scratch. What irks me is that there are scratches on the Power Adapter. Obviously that's not the worst thing, but it makes me wonder whether or not this had been opened and then resealed. I think I'll decide whether or not I should call tomorrow.

6. amrk47 macrumors regular

did the power adapter have a protective plastic stuck on it?

7. snowleopard48 macrumors regular

snowleopard48

Scratched Power Adapter

Was The version of Leopard the current version at that time?
    Was iLife (iphoto:apple:,iweb:apple:,imovie:apple:,garageband:apple:,idvd:apple:) installed?

8. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

i can vouch for the PDFs as well. i got my new MB about a month ago and they came installed on the desktop.

as far as the scratches, i'd call in and ask. it can't hurt. and the earlier you do it the better so they can't blame misuse.

9. lecorbusier macrumors newbie

Check your battery cycle count: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519 that should tell you if it is used or not... the .PDF's are normal. Was the box sealed? Check your log files to see when things were changed... did you get the initial bootup Welcome sequence, or did it just boot into OSX? It should ask you to update after first boot. Was the actual Macbook sealed with the white sticker underneath intact?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Also if you look at the production process for the unibody, light scratches can be introduced easy in the machine at many steps in the process.