New Macbook screen dims and brightens randomly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yOyOYoo, Jan 12, 2009.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

My new macbook aluminum's screen has a tendency to gradually dim and then brighten on it's own, randomly. This is off the battery power and not AC adapter.

Anyone else's macbook screen do this? This is not the screen dimming to sleep. it is constantly dimming and brightening, even as I type this post.

2. thefugitivemind macrumors newbie

It has a photosensor next to the webcam that dims the screen and backlit keyboard accodingly to the ambient light.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This is because of the ambient light sensor. You can turn the option off in System Preferences>Displays>Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes

4. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Thank you for this post!!! I hope this works, because this was seriously driving me insane!!

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

It will.................

6. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

THIS was wicked helpful!!!
    I was all "WTF" about it!!!!! haha & Thanks!! :p

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It drove me crazy at first but after I found out what was causing it, I like the effect. Maybe it's the power of suggestion. :cool:

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I used to leave it on until yesterday. Yesterday I got kind of fed up because it has a huge tendency to pick brighter values than I'd use for a given situation.

It's a really neat idea, though :)

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I had to shut that feature off, because in my front room at night, the TV changing screens/colors would cause my Macbook to change brightness, haha

10. alabanco macrumors member

alabanco

I have a question that stays beyond the whole topic.

Why Macbook dims display light when you turn off your room lights and vice versa when you turn on lights it makes display light even brighter ?

To be logical it should do just the opposite thing - i.e. it should make display dimmer when you turn on lights and brighter when you turn off lights.

Am I the only one who thinks MacBook is stupid at this point ?

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not logically sound!

When in a dark room (i.e. with no lights on), any display at the lowest brightness should still be the brightest thing in the room.

Typically, you should set the brightness to the lowest level that you can comfortably see at.

Ambient light makes it harder to see the screen (this is especially true for the MacBook's glossy display).

Sit outside with the sun shining directly on the screen and you'll see what I mean.

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Yes.

13. kolax macrumors G3

No - you need it brighter when the environment light is bright, obviously so you can see the screen better.. And when it is dark, you don't need the display so bright.

14. Salgonza macrumors newbie

It was probably designed by a Occupational Therapist. I like the feature being on. Cause in the dark your eyes adjust to it. Easier on the eyes.

15. alabanco macrumors member

alabanco

Guys, believe me. It dims the light very dramatic to much than needed when you turn off your room lights. and the same it turns lights so high when you turn off your room lights that you rush to make it lower

In both cases its adjustments are too dramatic and hurt eyes. MacBook should do light change less dramatic as it does. I'm not the one who noticed that. All people who sit next to me noticed that it dims lights very much and we have to turn them higher but not to maximum of course.

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I don't know what you're seeing but it works perfectly for me.

17. funn1bunn1 macrumors newbie

this is very helpful, i thought something is wrong with my new macbook, was worried. Thank you!

18. Bnikel160 Guest

I was having this issue as well, I was aware of the ambient light sensor in the computers, my last two mac had them too, but it seemed like it was happening more randomly and without any motion at all, I did turn off the light sensor and so far it has stop doing it, the light sensor in the newer models must be more sensitive or something

19. ElphabaPotter macrumors newbie

I think my laptop is possessed...

moved to a different thread.

20. twistedchick macrumors newbie

lol thank u and this is the exact reason I dig forums--> quick answer from helpful folk

21. Cassilynn9 macrumors newbie

Same Problem...Thank You

I just go got my MacBook Pro and didnt notice the dimming screen until today, when I sat in front of the window. I was convinced something was wrong with the computer til I googled it and found this forum. THANK YOU

22. jcotteri macrumors newbie

You the man, I was trying to find this setting but was staring at it all along.. I need some sleep I think:eek:

23. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

I just bought a new macbook air and I thought the screen was dimming, but I convinced myself I was just imagining things. After a few weeks I knew something was going on... And a quick google search brought me here

Thanks for the responses!

This made me LOL