New MacBook screen issue (does not extend all the way)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aneftp, Feb 10, 2008.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

I literally just booted up my new Macbook. I noticed that there is a gap (about 1/8 of an inch of just a black line on the left side and 1/12 of an inch of open space (again just a black line). I've adjusted the display settings and the empty black line is still there.

Shouldn't the Leopard Wallpaper cover the entire LCD screen.

I have a 24 inch imac alum. and the wallpaper extends the entire LCD panel.

So is this a problem and I should get it exchanged ASAP?

Also, I can hear the fan run pretty loud. It's seems louder than the other laptops I've owned in the past. My iMac is super quiet.

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Is it just the wallpaper or if you open a window and move it to the edge of the screen does it not extend to the full edge of the LCD panel? If that is happening then yes, you should take it in and get it exchanged. That should not be happening fresh out of the box.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Laptop fans can run louder but your screen issue sounds bad. A photo would help diagnose the problem if you can provide one but I'd take it back for exchange/repair. Have you tried rebooting to see if it occurs again?

4. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

it's just not the wallpaper.

when i rebooted the laptop, you get the normal apple logo but i still see the black gap on the left side. i am taking it back for exchange at the apple store.

it's annoying.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

17" MBP, black line surrounds the screen. Normal.

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

No, it's uneven. 1/8 inch on the left side, 1/16 inch on the right side with the black line. I measured it with a ruler.

I google this and some people have complained about this issue. I would completely understand if everything was even.

7. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

okay they let me exchange it at the Tyson's Corner Store in Northern Virginia without any problems. The guy at the store was super cool. He said it was a normal variation of the LCD screen but would let me exchange anyways.

The fan also concerned me.

I'm at home, booted it up, while the black lines (small 1/16 of an inch) are there, they are even on both sides of the LCD. I barely even hear the fan anymore. I am satisfied with my purchase. You spend $1300 plus taxes, you want something to be perfect out of the box. I know I was being nick-picking but the screen bothered me enough where it was slightly uneven. Now I am happy.

Time to go to macsales.com and order the 4GB of RAM. I know there are cheaper RAM like at newegg but I trust macsales and have ordered from there before.

8. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

the "gap" is normal, its like 1 mm an all sides. No need to worry, congrats on the new macbook.

9. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, I realize the gap was "normal" when I went to the Tyson's Corner Apple Store and compared it to the display model MacBook's. However, mine was uneven. There was more of a "gap" on the left side compared to the right. And the high fan noise was killing me.

I exchanged it and the "gap" is even on both sides and the laptop seems very quiet now.

Yes, I am enjoying my laptop. Charging it up and installing Office 2K8 and Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Acrobat Professional (it loads photoshop CS3 almost as well as my 2.4GZ 4GB RAM iMac) and I'm only working with 1.5GB of RAM.....waiting for my 4GB of RAM to come in from macsales.com

I'm flying out of town on business in an hour. I'm going to love carrying a 5 pound laptop instead of my 7.5 pound 17 inch gateway laptop.

Thanks

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

You live in the DC area? SWEET! but on topic, he means that one side has a huge black gap, while the other doesnt have much. the screen seems to shifted to one side, bring it in!!

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Exactly why I bought a MacBook, too.