New Macbook screen issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blipstutter, Nov 2, 2007.

1. blipstutter macrumors member

Hi, new to the forum here, and just got one of the brand new Macbook...

So.... there's some goofy stuff going on with the screen, and I wanted to see if these were known previous issues with the Macbooks, or if anyone else here noticed the same thing.

1) When I move the screen direction I can see what looks like pond ripples. They're only visible when adjusting the angle, when I'm touching the corner of the Macbook frame. It almost looks like there's pressure pushing from behind the case, into the glossy screen cover.

2) There seems to be subtle ghosting, making it hard to read basic web pages. This could be a new "feature" of 10.5 maybe? The shadows around windows are really extreme.

3) The screen is killing my eyes after only 15 minutes on here. All calibration, and presets looks either washed out or distinctively blue.

Also, I'm not entirely sure, but it seems to me the glossy screen covering was more thick and glass like on old Macbooks, wasn't it? Maybe I imagined that part.

Anyway, not sure if I got a clunker, or what. Would love to verify if the ripple pond thing is standard. Thanks!

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Sounds like you got a bad one. Take it back or at least look at the MacBooks in the store and compare it to yours.

3. blahbrah macrumors 6502

for number 3: go to displays and select color, then go to calibrate.

4. blipstutter thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I can't get the calibration right.

Mostly concerned about issue #1. I know they did minor changes to the back hinge area, where the fans sit. I'll go to an Apple store and check out some floor models like suggested. That's a no brainer.

5. blahbrah macrumors 6502

hmm, are you adjusting the color portion in the calibration? i.e. when you reach matching the apple logo, sometimes the colors a bit off, there's a second square you can use. I know I forgot about it.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What minor changes to the back hinge area?????:confused:

7. blipstutter thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm skipping the expert setup now, but I've never had trouble calibrating monitors in the past. Still looks washed out, or carries a blue tint. The menu bar at the top taking on the background color doesn't help much.

8. blipstutter thread starter macrumors member

Well it's confirmed.

After visiting the Apple store about half the models on display had screens that wrinkle when pressure is applied while adjusting the screen angle. The other half didn't have that problem at all. Apple claims it's within spec, and it depends which factory it's made in. That means not all Macbooks have the same build quality on the screens.

If you compare the last batch of Macbooks with the new ones, you'll see some minor differences in the back hinge, venting area.

9. Matteh117 macrumors regular

I have the new model MacBook and I've tried playing with the screen - no ripple. I understand what you mean but I don't see it.

Also, I don't experience any ghosting.

10. other macrumors 6502

Damn, that doesn't sound good at all (regarding #1). Sounds like the screen could break easily?

11. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Sorry, but the rippling you're talking about only applies when you're adjusting the screen no? Have you ever applied pressure on any other LCD screens in your time, they all do it.
    Sorry if that sounds patronizing but thats the impressions I got

12. other macrumors 6502

If they're built like crap, yes.

For example, try applying pressure to this:
    [​IMG]

13. blipstutter thread starter macrumors member

I explained that I "applied pressure" to other Macbooks at the Apple store, and they did not "all do it" like you claim. Another user posted that their MacBook doesn't do it either.

This also represents a design flaw if by merely adjusting the screen it can be construed as the user "applying pressure".