New MacBook seems to get really hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lukekarts, Apr 16, 2009.

1. lukekarts macrumors regular

Hi, I've got a 3 week old Macbook 13 (2Ghz model + 4GB RAM).

I've noticed on occasions - usually while it is on my lap - it gets really hot to touch - is this normal and is there any way I can monitor the temperature?

It is usually when I am doing more intensive things (video editing + various other apps open) and obviously the aluminium frame body conducts the heat well.

If I can monitor the temperature, what are the normal operating temperatures?

I'm new to Macs and there probably isn't a problem, just want to check!

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Mine gets pretty warm... seems pretty normal. You can use the iStat pro dashboard widget to monitor temperature + other things.

3. njz1719 macrumors newbie

Mine gets warm but nothing I would be even close to worried about, only time its gotten more then a little warm is when watching movies and then its still just warm not hot. Just curious what are you using it for? if its just getting hot when browsing internet then maybe you might have a problem but if your using fairly intensive programs then its totally normal.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you think its too hot while doing easy tasks just look at Utilities > Activity Monitor and see which processes are using the most CPU.

6. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Generally the new aluminum MBs run cooler than the old polycarbonate models. Of course if you are doing processor intense task, all models will run much hotter. It's perfectly normal.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They do get a bit warm but nothing to be concerned about. If anything the aluminum helps out dissipate the heat better.

8. johnny13oi macrumors member

The heat dissipation capacity of the white Macbook is pretty poor and I find it to get very very hot as well whenever doing anything other than typing. My temperatures typically hover around 55C idle and then into 60-70C when watching videos or on sites with a lot of flash.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The heat due to flash is because the Flash10 setup for Mac absolutely blows. It uses way more CPU cycles than should be necessary, even when playing games (15% CPU usage to play bejeweled, I think that's a bit excessive). Hopefully that's addressed with the next major update of Flash Player.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Is this the new unibody or the lowest end white macbook?

11. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah its the unibody macbook.

What operating temps should I be looking for?

Compared to my previous laptop it feels much hotter, but then it is smaller and I think the aluminium case will probably be quite deceptive as it conducts heat really easily.

12. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

When you use it on your lap do you cover the back of the MacBook? If the vent is blocked in anyway the MacBook gets very hot, for instance having it rest on your duvet makes it too hot to touch sometimes.

13. Sareth macrumors member

Mine idles between 30 and 40 degrees C and in use the hottest I've seen it is 71 degrees, this is using smcfancontrol.