New macbook setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbwrobel, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dbwrobel Guest

I'm currently in grad school and I have sold my 2008 iMac/Wifi iPad combination to go with a Macbook and iPhone since I'm on the road quite often and need to have computing power. I have been having trouble though deciding on what type of configuration would be best for my needs (I am in engineering using Matlab and programming software such as Xcode and the OpenCV libraries - I also do video editing on the side in Final Cut and some 3D stuff/compositing in Blender and After Effects).

Would a 2.53Ghz Core i5 model with the 4 gigs of ram and the 5200rpm drive be ok for this? I also have been reading that the matte screen with the high res is nicer to work with....perhaps add the 8gigs of ram and upgrade the hd to 7200rpm?

Or would I simply be able to get away with the 13" and just upgrade it extensively and use it with an external monitor?

I would like this machine to be my primary one, but yet still be able to take it to school with me without feeling like I'm carrying a bag of bricks on my back :p

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would go with the 15", but hold out on upgrading the RAM etc until you see how the machine feels handeling what you throw at it.

3. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

So the processor you think is alright? And also would you say the high res screen is worth it for my uses?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not to sure as I don't have a high-res screen, so can't really comment.

5. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

High resolution screen is always worth it if you need it.....otherwise, it is hard for people to comment. For all the processing power you need, I think it may be worth it for you to go I7 for your purchase.

6. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

the hi res option is always worth it. especially if your going to be using it allot on the road. either get the i5 2.4 or the i7 2.66. no point just going halfway.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I think you will be fine with the 2.4 i5 + SSD + HR, can't say if matte is all right because I don't really like it...

8. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Hello again, I finally decided on the 2.66Ghz i7 model, high res antiglare option (I figured for now I would take the 4gigs and 5400rpm drive like the one post mentioned instead of the 8 gigs and ssd to try out the machine and leave as a potential upgrade option for the future if I need it or the costs come down). Thanks for all your help! Now the hard part, waiting for it to come....lol