New MacBook, Slow Migration

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheMountainLife, Oct 12, 2015.

1. TheMountainLife macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my situation to know if its a issue or if its expected.

I am migrating from my 2009 MBP to 12" Macbook. Roughly 300GB of apps/photos/music. The migration has been a all day affair.

Whether I'm migrating over WiFi or Ethernet the transfer rate shows "10MB/s" and says I have 7 hours remaining.

Here's what I've done:

#1. Used the Apple branded USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaparter + USB to Ethernet Adapter. I'm connected directly to the MBP. No router/switch. Transfer rate of 10 MB/s with 7 hours estimated.

#2. Used Comcast latest wireless AC/N/G router. All devices are in the same room next to each other. Connected to the 5 GHZ network on both Macs. Transfer rate of 10 MB/s with 7 hours estimated.

#3. Tried using a WD My Cloud Time Machine backup but it kept failing to connect to it instead of prompting user/pass info.

Why are the transfer speeds between wireless and ethernet are the same? Do I have any other options on speeding this up?

I have 5 hours and 34 minutes left on the migration.

Searched around and didn't find much. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

10MB/s with the Apple USB Ethernet adapter is right and the wireless speed isn't all that surprising. Buy a SATA->USB jawn and have it on hand for when you need to move data quickly and just take the drive out and connect it up and run migration.

3. TheMountainLife thread starter macrumors member

That's a good idea. I do have one but its output ports are only esata or USB 2.0.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

USB 2.0 is still a hell of a lot faster than 100mbit ethernet or wireless.

5. TheMountainLife thread starter macrumors member

Formatted, reinstalled El Capitan and tried the transfer using my EZ-Dock sata to USB converter this time.

Starting out at 4 hours estimated and transfer rates topping out at 34 MB/s and still climbing as I post this.

Thanks for the suggestion, wish I thought of it earlier.

3 hours remaining now...

6. TheMountainLife thread starter macrumors member

Curious...if I had a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter (10/100/1000), would the transfer have been any faster?