New MacBook speed compared to the old one

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beneventi, Feb 2, 2009.

1. beneventi macrumors member

Dear guys, I've just purchased a new 2.0 GHz unibody MacBook that is about to arrive in a week.

My question is: how can it be compared, in terms of speed and heat consumption, to the old model I own (late 2006 black MacBook with core 2 duo 2.0 GHz processor) in the real life tasks? I would like to know if the new architecture (larger cache, faster front side bus, faster memory, new chipset) give it sensitive higher performances even if the frequency is the same.

I use my Mac as a developer, both on OS X and Windows with BootCamp (I'm a .net developer) and would like to hear your opinion. I do not play games.

Best regards

Alessandro

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

For those tasks, you probably won't see that much difference until Snow Leopard comes out.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I definitely noticed a BIG difference in day-to-day stuff when I moved from my 1.83 CD whitebook to the 2.0 unibody. Everything about the system seemed faster. I upgraded to the 2.4 aluminum and the difference between that and the whitebook is pretty substantial. The Unibodies also seem to run much cooler than the plastic models.

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I would like to point out that the 2.4 MB out performed the 2.4 MBP. Why is that?