New Macbook SR capabilites

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zman76, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zman76 macrumors newbie

I just bought a New SR Macbook. I'm totally new to the mac experience. I've been a PC user for years and I use PC for my job everday. I've got to say the last couple of days of owning a macbook have been very unsatisfactory. I've experieced a host of internet connection problems and still haven't got that worked out. I haven't even been able to really get to know the interface yet because of it.

I did play around with the photo booth and stuff just for giggles. Seemed kind of jerky with the effects. Somtimes pulling up the Dock it comes up slow and jerky. not all the time thought.

I really figured that this thing would fly. Got 4 gigs of ram and the 2.2ghz white book by the way. I figured i wouldn't experience any lag doing simple stuff like that. It's not terribly bad just a litle jerky sometimes.

Does anyone know how much you can actually do on the macbook. I want to run pro-tools recording software to full capacity and do some minor video editing (like small home video compilations and stuff)

Anyway i've used protools with a Dell that had a Centrino model processor in it 1.7ghz i think. It ran it fine and it only had 2 gigs as compared to my 4. But i haven't tried anything yet on the mac. still trying to get the internet thing working correctly.

Any advise will be appreciated

2. morphineseason macrumors regular

Could you be more specific as to what kind of internet connection problems you're having?

As for the dock, I think a lot of us dislike the the whole eye candy over performance idea, you'd think Apple would have learned from Vista. I find that switching the dock to the classic 2-D view works wonders on the smoothness of the dock. You can switch it by following the instructions at: http://www.silvermac.com/2007/change-leopard-dock-to-2d/. Stacks will still function the same as well.

For Pro Tools, I can't say I've run it personally, but I was running Garageband on my old iBook G4 (before I upgraded to the shiny new SR Macbook ;) ) and it was pretty slick. I don't see why you'd have any problems running it, especially if it worked well on a Windows computer with similar or "worse" specs. The only thing to really be concerned with running (or at least with high settings) is games because of the integrated graphics card.

For other performance issues, we can't really do much now but wait for the 10.5.1 update, which will hopefully be coming soon. For now you could check your Activity Monitor under the Utilities folder in your Applications (this is the Mac equivalent of the processes tab when you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on a Windows machine). If something is taking up a lot of memory and you think it's something you don't need, try stop that process from running in the future, unless you don't know what it is and/or it could be important.

The biggy is to make sure all your current processes are running natively with Intel...if it's running in PowerPC, then it's running in "Rosetta" which is an automatic emulation program for powerPC programs - long story short, PowerPC programs will use up memory more than those running natively with Intel