New MacBook: Store or BTO Online?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Roller, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

I went to the Apple store earlier to take a look at the new MacBook - I'm thinking of the 2.4/4GB MB with a 320GB HDD. They said that they could add 2GB, I'd have to go online to get the larger HDD.

But now it occurs to me that I could just get the 250GB base HDD and pop in a bigger HDD myself if I ever run out of space.

Am I missing something? (Yeah, I know about the absent FW, glossy screen, chiclet keyboard, and other glaring flaws...)

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I was thinking this too...I want to buy the 2.4/4gb version in store instead of online.

But then I got to thinking why not just enjoy the 2gb version now and then maybe after 2 or 3 months see if the WD scorpio drives and ddr3 prices go down and buy it then and be amazed at a nice speed increase.

That way I can save a little bit of money and at the same time just sell the ram and hdd or find other uses for the leftovers.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the HDD is supper easy to change out now, id be tempted to buy it thirdparty and do it yourself ...
    Also, if you do BTO online, theres no hope of you returning the product (if you were wanting to...)

4. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

If you don't mind using third party parts, I guess you should get it at the Apple Store as purchasing things at the actual retail store is a much better experience. You also don't have to wait for shipping, because you can actually just get them at the store. If you just purchase third party parts, you will save money and you may actually get more features such as a bigger hard drive, but it's totally up to you.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

BTO seems sort of pointless being you can do at all so easily yourself now.

6. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

I went BTO for my iMac because of my education discount and the lack of a close enough Apple store. However, if you want to save money I'd buy the base 2.4 GHz model and upgrade with 3rd party parts. Apple overcharges for their RAM and HD upgrades, in my opinion.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While that is your opinion, it's actually fact. HDD and Memory can be upgraded so inexpensively when compared to Apple's pricing. OWC sells 4GB ram for $140. Thanks to a buddy of mine who pointed that out. I really can't see why anyone would waste their money buying BTO for parts that they can replace.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

They are also third party parts even if they come from Apple. Apple doesn't make hard drives or RAM.

9. PinkHappy macrumors newbie

With my education discount, upgrade to 4gb ram from Apple is only $135. Does that mean it would be pointless to buy ram from a third party?

10. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

4GB RAM at Crucial.com would probably be like $80...

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Apple offers the upgrade for $135, EDU discount - $150 without the discount. Plus, you get the warranty on the ram through Apple as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...60381 1052939102 1309121118&name=4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Crucial is $145.

12. PinkHappy macrumors newbie

I was looking at the 4gb DDR3 kit on Crucial which is $142. The DDR2 is the one for about $68. I was going by what options the Apple store gave for ram.

13. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

The Apple store here does give the ed discount. With that, the RAM upgrade is $135. Probably more than I would pay third party, but I've heard so many stories about problems with added memory. If Apple does it, they're responsible.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

One thing I'd advise is going with the 2.0GHz model. It's much better value for money and you could easily add your own hard drive when it comes to make a big saving. The 2.4GHz processor is not all that much faster in real terms and I personally don't think the backlit keyboard is worth the extra money.