new macbook superdrive refuses to read discs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asphyxiafeeling, Oct 15, 2008.

1. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

hey guys. i tried Mroogle before posting, but it didn't help me much...

i just purchased the new macbook (2.0Ghz)

the superdrive seems to acting funny... when i try to insert a disc, it accepts it, makes a few noises (i think this is normal for superdrives?) and then just ejects the disc. is this normal? can i do anything to fix this?

the first time this happened was when i was installing WoW. everything was going well, then on disc three, it just wouldn't accept it. i tried several times. eventually, it did accept it. disc 4 and 5 worked fine as well. now, when i try to install BC it just won't accept it period. it goes in, "reads it" then just ejects it without the disc even showing up on the desktop!

what's going on? do i need to see a genius? if so, that's ok, but frustrating. i've never had a windows machine do this :mad:

i'm sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm pretty new to mac. thanks.

more info: the discs are not scratched at all! i've never even touched them except once to install WoW on my old PC!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It shouldn't do that. Return it for a new one. They'll try to tell you to let them see it, just say it's defective and you want to return it. Then buy a new one. You don't want to start dealing with Apple care with a 2 day old machine.

3. asphyxiafeeling thread starter macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

:(

dammit. dammit. dammit. dammit. dammit.

i just had to get a BAD EGG, huh?

not really mad, but i am frustrated.

thanks for your help, i'll try and head back to the apple store tomorrow.

4. panzerjedi macrumors newbie

This has started to happen for my Superdrive. It's really annoying and not sure if I should take it to a macstore.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually unfortunately you are not the one that got the bad egg (not that that is any solace to you! :() - there have been quite a few threads in the Mac Book and Mac Book Pro sections about others that have had the same or similar behavior with new drives in Apple laptops, particularly those manufactured by Matshita.

Sorry you have experienced this- but it will be taken care of with no problems anyways.

6. gibbz macrumors 68030