New Macbook & TC ?? backup PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by westernmass, Jun 3, 2008.

1. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

So we finaly got our first official Mac in the house last night. I should say second but my iPhone doesn't really count. Anyway, while shopping at the Apple store we decided to get Time Capsule for a couple of reasons. One we needed a new wireless router and two I wanted to back up my backup. So hooked up the TC with little or no issues. I am an amature photographer and have thousands of pictures on an external HD :eek: yes that is the only back up. So I wanted to back up that External HD to Time Capsule. Is this possible? if so how. I have a Dell PC that I use and my wife gets the ne w Macbook. From what I am reading I should be able to back up the Dell and the Macbook but can't igure out for the live of me how. So I honestly only need to back up the Macbook (should be easy) and the External HD that I have all my pictures located (does ot seem so easy:confused:) Would it be as easy as hooking up the External HD to the Macbook and doing it that way? Or is there an easier way I am missing. You have all always been helpful in the iphone forums and I hope the same is true here :) The good news is I will hopefull getting a Mac to replace my Dell in the fall :D

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

It's actually just as simple as that! The Time Machine on your wife's MacBook will automatically back up any external drives connected to it onto the Time Capsule. However, I'd suggest connecting the external HD to the Dell or your wife's MacBook and copying the files directly to the TC's HDD (rather than let Time Machine do it). This way you actually have a copy of the files that you'd be able to access from both the Dell and the MacBook without having to go into Time Machine to retrieve the files. Since Time Machine makes a sparsebundle file and archives everything into that one file, you won't be able to access your pictures from your Dell within that file. Just make sure to enable file sharing in the AirPort Utility under Disks > File Sharing, and if you plan on using the Dell to access the TC's HDD, add the workgroup that the Dell is a part of in the File Sharing section, and add your TC's IP address (10.0.1.1 by default) to the list of trusted networks/zones on any software firewalls you have installed on the Dell.

3. westernmass thread starter macrumors 6502

westernmass

Thanks Skorpien

Unfortunately I am a little lost. I set up my wife’s Mac book last night to do the first backup. I believe it worked because the bar showing it was running was not there this morning. Actually, how can I be sure the backup worked?

I also decided I wanted to try the route of dropping and dragging the files from the external HD using the Dell to TC. I went into Airport utility to enable file sharing in the AirPort Utility under Disks > File Sharing. I am not sure I know how to add the IP address:confused:

My real problem is I am not sure how to access TC from the PC. I thought I would go to My Computer I would see the drive and could drop and drag the files over. But, I don’t see TC there. What am I missing? Thanks again for your help.

Also readying with the help of the search button about partitioning TC. This may be above my pay grade but is this something I should think about doing as well when saving the external HD to TC?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

One way you can check is to go into Time Machine and see if it has any backup data available. It should have a date that corresponds to the date of the initial backup.

Adding the IP address to the list of trusted networks is firewall specific. Meaning depending on the firewall program you have installed, it may be slightly different. What I would suggest is going into the help section of your firewall program and searching trusted networks or trusted zones and see if it will provide you with the help you need. If it still doesn't work, I can give you instructions for McAfee and Norton 360 firewalls via Private Message.

Once the IP address is added, that should prevent the firewall from blocking the TC's HDD from showing up in your Dell's "My Computer" or "Network Places" (provided you've also included the workgroup name in the AirPort Utility under File Sharing). It will show up as a networked drive.

Alternately, you can place the CD that came with the Time Capsule in the Dell and install AirPort Utility for Windows. This includes a program called AirPort Base Station Agent that loads into your taskbar and allows you to mount the TC's HDD that way.

As for partitioning the TC's HDD, you can't do it without physically opening up the TC, removing the HDD, placing it in an enclosure, connecting it to a Mac and partitioning it (which obviously voids your warranty). I've heard of people creating empty disk images of a preset size using Disk Utility without having to open up the TC, but I'm unsure of the specifics of this (a search might yield better results). You could always just connect your current external HDD via USB to your Time Capsule and share it over your network.