New Macbook Tomorrow; What should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duskair, Oct 2, 2008.

1. duskair macrumors newbie

What are some preliminary first-timer activities besides performing some worship rituals around it? I've got my list of preliminary downloads already made...but what else should I do?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Umm turn it on.

LOL! Congrats on your first mac. Enjoy it!

3. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Bragging to your friends then press the expose button with 12 windows open. thats all i got

4. BigD58 macrumors regular

Ha that was the first thing I did when I upgraded to panther way back when.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

1) Jump with joy
    2) Download all the OSX updates needed
    3) Download and install all the apps you need
    4) Clone the HD to a nice clean external HD for disaster recover
    5) Put together a backup plan so you never lose your work
    6) Open tons of windows and hit F9 repeatedly for fun :D

Welcome aboard :)

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Download the updates via software update (click the Apple on the bar at the top and select Software Update) and transfer your files, then you're good to go :)

7. duskair thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I just backed up everything I wanna bring from this clunky old Dell. Question though; is there a way to transfer my Firefox profile to OS X?

8. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Are you porting the data over yourself, or are you letting the Apple store do it? If they do it at the store, your Firefox profile will come over fine. Then you will only have to enjoy! You didn't say what you are going to use it for, but if it is being used for photos, you will love iPhoto. You are going to love it anyway! :)
    Welcome to the club. Be sure and put the Apple sticker on your car so we will know you when we see you!:cool:

9. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

If you got the blackbook, wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least a minute

10. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

You should decide NOT to purchase tomorrow and wait till the new Macbooks come out. Worst case scenario, you get the current gen Macbooks at a cheaper price from the refurb store.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Never had a big problem with fingerprints with mine. Even when they are there it is easy to get rid of.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'll congratulate you in advance! :D

OP didn't ask us if he should buy it. He needs it tomorrow and that's that!

You're mixing want and need.

13. KissStephanie macrumors member

KissStephanie

Aussie girl in the East Village, New York City
    I got my first Mac in 1998, and I haven't done that with any of the ones I've owned. However, from the sound of the upcoming new MacBook release, I may do it for the first time then! :)
    Some people want and/or need their MacBook straight away though, even if the timing is bad. I'm waiting for the new MacBook release myself though, and from all reports, that wait will be well worth it regarding the improvements on both the inside and the outside.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's wrong with a current MB? Do you want an unreliable 1st generation product with a design we haven't even seen yet, or an MB that you have seen, and know that most of the issues have been ironed out?

15. duskair thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually purchased this godly machine from eBay. 2.16GHZ (C2D0, 1GB (upgrading next week!), 120GB, free Leopard Family Pack, and Logic Express 8.0. Only ran me $700. I can live with the upset of not having the latest model for the deal I got. :D

Thanks again for all of your replies. I actually bricked it at school Friday, I was installing the 10.5.5 update and closed the lid to leave...and freaked when it wouldn't 'wake up' so I removed the battery and then OS X wouldn't start. I fixed it though, thankfully.

My only problem is, the Leopard DVD doesn't appear to include iLife 08, so the Tiger restore DVD's I have are all I have, and it has iLife 06. Do I have to pay to upgrade or should the 08 suite be somewhere on my Leopard disk?

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the MB purchase; and at a great price. My recollection is that iLife '08 doesn't come packaged with the MB 2.16, but came with iLife '06, and probably didn't show up until February '08. That's the first time I saw it enclosed with my BlackBook 2.4 Penryn, and it came as a separate disc.

17. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

iLife is included with the machine itself, not the OS.

18. WillClarke macrumors newbie

Newbie and newmacbook

Hi I was ;poised to buy a new macbook and the supplier said hold fire till 14th October..is theer a new one due out?
    Thanks
    Will

19. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

yes... ;)

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

20. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

iLife 06 is fine - don't worry about not upgrading.

Welcome to Mac

Remember to back up you stuff though - there is at least one poster here who didn't and lost everything.

Good luck

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

A nice backup option would be an external enclosure that fits 2 drives and run a raid mirror (0 I think) That way if your laptop or one of the externals go you still have a backup.

22. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

But But... Think of the possibilities with dedicated graphics:D.

23. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Send it back immediately...

The MacBooks will receive major updates next week. You will be very upset if you decide to keep it. Return it ASAP.

If you have anymore questions, send me an email. My address is on my website (see below).

24. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

seconded!

Dude send it back you will regret it if you dont!!

I love my MacBook but the case is very fragile and I have a few cracks and things in mine. Id say hold out for a new one

25. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Can you even return something bought on ebay?