New MacBook Topcase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MultiFinder17, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Just FYI, for those of you out there with old MacBooks with the old keyboard layout (integrated numberpad, no media keys, and an enter key instead of option next to the arrows), Apple seems to have stopped making those and are instead replacing them with the modern layout when you go in for a replacement because of the cracking issue. My Core Duo MacBook just came back today with the modern layout :) So, good news for some, bad for others. Either way, it would seem that the old layout is no longer with us so far as Apple is concerned.

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

How much are they charging? I took my late '06 C2D into an Apple Store recently and was told they no longer did free replacements on anything prior to 2007.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That's very interesting...
    I, too, would like to know how much they're charging.

I feel dumb for asking, but does the MacBook recognize the new keyboard and use the correct layout or does the new option key still work as an enter key?

4. MultiFinder17 thread starter macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It was free - I was told that they'll fix it for up to five years, but only up to three times for the life of the machine. Also, I Was originally told that I would have to pay, but only because they would have to order one. I took it back in a few days later and they replaced it for free because they had some in stock.

Yup, it recognizes it fine and does all the keys work as they should :)