New MacBook touch bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yogeewan, Jun 3, 2016.

1. yogeewan, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

yogeewan macrumors regular

wonder how the design would be if the new touch bar expected in the MacBook refresh held the dock? That would mean full screen estate for apps.

Don't know how it will be but interesting idea?

2. keysofanxiety, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If there is a touch/visual interface instead of the function keys, I assume it would be designed to change per app. For instance, it displays different features when Photoshop is open compared to Finder, and can even be user-customisable to access frequently used features. The Apple menu bar will still be at the top of OS X though, and the dock still at the bottom/sides, so I think the function key bar would be used in tandem with OS X, rather than being a replacement for any of the familiar features.

It's sort of like when they were designing the iPhone. No point in having a physical keyboard as different apps should have other interfaces or button layouts. The function keys are arguably a little redundant on OS X -- well, at the very least, a new UI could make them more useful across the board.

Just my $0.02 though, all speculation.

3. Oppenheim macrumors 6502

As long as there are "multimedia" keys and a little dial so I can control the volume, I'll be happy.

If Apple force this retrograde stuff on us, they will be going backwards as a company.

4. doctorwhofan98 macrumors regular

doctorwhofan98

I don't think that would work too well - having to look down at the keyboard to look at which apps are running and to launch new ones would only harm my productivity, as the Dock is easier to view if it's on the screen with the rest of the content. If that was to happen then there would be no place for function keys, so I expect the touch bar will have customisable function keys that the running app can also change.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

It could be used in the same manner as the secondary bar in the LG V10. The technology is already there. But it seems weird that Apple would want to implement this.

Increased costs to add another piece of hardware(oled touch screen) to replace functional keyboard shortcuts. As long as the new Pros do not increase their prices over the current prices, I'll pick one up after a month or 2.

Can never be too sure about first gen products from Apple anymore due to dubious software/hardware problems.

6. Chinaware macrumors newbie

Chinaware

Hey, guys. Here is what I got so far. First I come from China. In a Chinese website ZHIHU(you can say it Chinese Quara), a anonymous guy posted info about mbp( including Oled bar, four type c and bigger touchpad) before any news and he is right. I suppose he is from Foxconn. Other than these, he says the new 13 mbp will have two cooling fans which may suggest the existence of dgpu. Also, all type c ports support tb3; no more light on the back; the base model start with cpu2.9, ram8, 256gb; Touch ID on the power button; no MagSafe; same ****** keyboard as nmb; thinner. The most important thing he says is that the mass production start August. I read this as "No mbp" on 13th.

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

No more light on the back? You mean the hey-peasants-I've-got-a-frigging-Macbook illuminated Apple thingy? But that's the main reason for buying a Mac!

8. jerryk, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

I can envision a volume slider with perhaps double tap or hold to mute. There is a lot you can do with a programmable touch bar.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016 ---
    I can think of a lot of neat things you could do with a touchable display bar. It could have many more controls than the display can show at any one time and allow you to swipe to see more. The items displayed could be user definable in Preferences.

A fun thing would be to have it scroll left-right AND up and down. That would allow a stack of virtual button bars.
    You could have system stuff on the top virtual button bar, scroll down for the short cuts for one app like Spotify where you can control sound (bass and treble sliders) and select the genre of music, scroll down again to get to the controls for another app such as Excel where you click to start entering a formula, scroll down again to get Lightroom specific controls where there are color, brightness, and contrast sliders, etc.

9. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

Please no, much too complicated to use. I always thought Apple wanted everything to be simple/intuitively. If that goes, no reason to stay with OS X.

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

You wouldn't have to use. A lot of people never use spotlight or multiple desktops either.

But some power users make use of these features because they have a lot of apps running at the same time. I often have an XCode or other IDE, 2 terminal windows, browsers, and another debugging tool running at once.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Two fans same reason as the new HP Spectre; Apple has been retreating away from portables with dGPU for several generations. Most likely reason for a second fan is to maintain temperatures due to Apple`s form over function approach and the inclusion of Intel`s Alpine Ridge TB-3 controller pushing up the thermal budget.

Q-6