New Macbook touchpad question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jakester03, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jakester03 macrumors newbie

My sister got a new macbook and I was messing with it yesterday. I was trying to drag about 300 files into iTunes. I could select all, but how do you drag multiple items on the new trackpad? I tried everything. I even accidentally triple-tapped and opened 300 files at once... oops.

2. jensepollense macrumors regular

jensepollense

When you have all the files selected, you can click and then drag the files with another finger. Granted I don't have any two finger gestures turned on, like secondary two finger click, so I don't know if it works the same with those features on. It should work like that though.

3. jakester03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I used Cmd-A (I think) to select all files. Then when i would try to click the touchpad to drag, it would select just one file.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Highlight what you want to move then try clicking on the down left corner (imagine a physical button like on a pc) of the pad and then drag by using another finger (possibly from another hand). I think the software ignores the down left corner and uses it as a 'physical button' to a certain extent, never had trouble click and dragging that way.

5. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I think you double click (or in my case double tap since I use tapping more than actualy clicking with the trackpad) and on the second click you keep it clicked and then drag the files. I know that if I double tap, and keeping my finger on the tackpadafter the second tap I can then drag the files to another foler or the trash can.

6. observer macrumors member

click lock?

Look under your System Preference mouse options. My laptop (10.4.11, with a real trackpad button) has an option called "Click Lock - tap again to release". This sounds like it should let you do what you want.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I have mine set up to require a physical click to drag things - maybe she has the same.

8. MarkMissoula macrumors member

Couldnt you just drag the folder that you have the 300 files in, to I-tunes?
    Worked for me.

9. iStrat macrumors member

Just pretend there is a normal button at the bottom of the trackpad. Everything works exactly the way it would on a normal trackpad using the factory default settings. Use your thumb to hold down the bottom of the pad. Then use your pointer finger on the same hand to move the pointer. If you can do it on any other trackpad, you can do it exactly the same way on the new MacBook trackpad. If you are having trouble, you're thinking too hard.