New Macbook Trackpad Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by virgomac, Oct 29, 2008.

1. virgomac macrumors member

I am not sure if its just my machine, or if this is a general problem. I and working along and my trackpad works just fine for the most part. Then occasionally it just doesn't respond. I click and move around and eventually it just starts working.

When it does this, I shift to Istat to see if the processor is pegging out or something but its still under very light load.

Like i said, its quite sporatic, so god knows how long it would take someone to reproduce if I asked Apple to take a look at it. Most probable outcome would I'd get the notebook back in a week saying, "Sorry, we just couldn't find the problem"

So, am I the only one this is happening to?

2. w00tini macrumors 6502a

Happened to me too. Went to the apple store just today to see a Genius about it. They had a record of this happening on their end, but they have not found a fix for it yet.

It seems they believe it is a software issue, not hardware, and the Genius said he assumes they will look to squash this bug in an update at some point.

Yet, they did offer me a new laptop to make me feel like they at least tried something. So I trade in my baseline model for the step-up 2.4Ghz macbook (I paid the difference in price of course). Eh, why not... I really like having a backlit keyboard anyway :d

It has not happened to me on this new laptop yet, but I have to admit this is the first time I've really sat down to use it.

3. sutherlandan macrumors newbie

happens to me quite frequently, and just last night my iSight camera stopped working...
    camera is back online today, but trackpad still cuts out...
    1st apple product and not impressed.
    oops, there it goes again...

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Don't blame Apple. This happens with most Rev A. products so just give it a while.

I am sure Apple will put out an update.

5. Catonow macrumors regular

I've experienced a similar problem. Been checking the boards here, waiting to see if anyone else brought it up. I hope they come up with a software fix. If not, I may have to trade it back in for another. (Just after I've finished loading it with everything I wanted.)

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It happen to me too sometimes. all the border are irresponsive if you first touch it. when you move the cursor and go back to these part they will be functional, but not when it's the first part you touch.

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Yup, same problem here. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon with a software update. After coming from a windows machine, though, I have to say I couldn't be more happy with the new MacBook... OS X FTW!

8. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I have a 2.0 glassbook and haven't run into this issue at all. Is there a certain scenario that typically lends itself to this issue occurring?

9. virgomac thread starter macrumors member

I'd have to agree, from what I've been noticing since I started this topic, it does seem to be more of a software issue than hardware. The trackpad "does" work, just seems glitchy when in certain programs doing certain tasks.

Ironically, it happened 3 times while typing this message. Seems to be most prevalent in some sort of text box or "writing" software.

10. PresentACat macrumors regular

Yeh, Dell and HP and the like can never get anything as unusual as a trackpad to function on Rev. A stuff. If it is a first edition then Apple ought to test it, not me.

11. tylerma macrumors newbie

Agreed.

When I pay nearly $3000 for a laptop, a laptop that is using technology that IS NOT REV A... it should work PERFECTLY from the start.

12. w00tini macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's how was happening to me most. In webpage text boxes and in MS Word. It has happened to me once since i got the replacement laptop yesterday as well.

13. madmac08 macrumors newbie

a new macbook, just for two hours, and dead three times

Just got the new macbook and cost $2000
    and it looks sleek and I was so happy... for just about 15minutes,
    it died and trankpad did not respond and I had to turn it off and restart:mad:
    then it happened again, and again, any solution for this problem?

14. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Take it to an Apple store and get it replaced

15. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Mine has randomly fixed itself. It used to freeze quite a bit but it doesn't really do it at all... Weird.