New MacBook Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NewGuyToMac, Oct 17, 2008.

1. NewGuyToMac macrumors newbie

I just got back from the Apple Store with my new MacBook. So far I love it! But I did notice that my trackpad on the right hand side looks like it has separated from the seal around the rest of the trackpad. The left side is all closed, but on the right its separated and can see the space between the actual trackpad and the edge of the palm rest. I dont know if this is normal, all the pics I have seen dont have it like that. I took some pics with my iPhone and have posted them here. What do you all think? The pics should be here. The first one is of the whole trackpad, the second is of the left side, the third is of the right where the problem is, and the last is another one of the whole thing. I appreciate all your input!

Attached Files:

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Mine is pretty much the same. Doesn't bother me.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*sigh*

I think you should just enjoy your new laptop.

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I appreciate how you might be curious if your computer was "normal"...but I certainly hope that you don't think it warrants returning it. :eek: It seems people here nitpick on the tiniest details.

5. domcole macrumors regular

People are spending hundreds or thousands of pounds on the Apple laptops. They just want it 'right'!

6. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

The darn thing isn't broken! How "right" should it be? Do you expect you're newly built house to be perfect? Do you think a new car would not have a tiny scratch somewhere?

7. brettinlj macrumors member

You guys are whiners! He didn't say he was going to return it, he's just curious if its normal or not. I'd want to know too in case the trackpad was about to come loose or something so I could take it in to be adjusted/secured.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It shows poor QA for sure. I would guess it is going to be rather normal. My older MBP also has an uneven track pad.

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Ha, yeah, depends on how noticeable that tiny scratch is. The misalignment of the trackpad is a fairly big 'scratch'. You'd complain to the dealer if you had a decent scratch. Why not a premium computer?

11. Bokes macrumors 6502

I bought my wife a new macbook and it has the same issue.
    I debated taking it back as well- but felt silly.
    It looks wrong and flawed, but perhaps this is the way they should be?

12. RedRocksU2 macrumors member

RedRocksU2

Exactly.

Enjoy it.

13. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I knew someone was going to say that. I didn't say he said that either.

Sure..like I said earlier..I understand if you post and ask other people if your computer is like my computer . I'm not whining about that. It just seems like some people are obsessive compulsive about their possessions and will lose sleep over the smallest things. That doesn't look like a misalignment issue to me. I'm sure it still works fine. Unless it was loose or looks like it will cause problems in the future I wouldn't worry about it.

14. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Can you loosen (not remove) the seven screws that attach the trackpad to the body and shift the pad a little towards the gap? You can see five of the seven in the picture below. Just a guess.

[​IMG]

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It doesn't look like a huge problem, and it seems like it is a very common thing. I wouldn't worry about it, but if it truly bugs you, then I might consider taking it into the Genius bar and see what they have to say. But I would only do that if it annoys you and makes it difficult to use.

17. Jeegan macrumors newbie

I think people have a right to nitpick about the little things on anything they buy. Even more so on what I would consider a premium notebook. Especially when you can find cheepo $500 notebooks that don't show such flaws, other than ugly designs. But when you spend $1300, I would think they could put a little more effort into making everything as right as possible. But that's just my 2 cents.

18. NewGuyToMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank some of you for your helpful responses. I never said I was going to return it and probably wont. Its really not that big of a deal, especially now that I know its a common issue. I hate how these boards are full of negativity and people automatically criticize you. All the posts saying how much the new macbook sucked almost made me not want to buy one, but I have been waiting for months to buy my first mac and I have very happy with my purchase. The negative people need to look at the brighter things in life then complain about computer hardware . . .

But thanks again to you who true-fully answered my question.

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think you guys are missing the point, seeing as how the whole thing clicks the problem could get worse in the future, you should get it taken care of now before it breaks completly and you cant use the trackpad at all

20. Bokes macrumors 6502

Hold the macbook and tilt it back and forth and move it in and out of the light.
    You'll notice that the gap shifts from side to side. It's an optical illusion.
    maybe it's the glass playing tricks.
    Any one else notice this?

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

22. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

Exactly. My $500 HP laptop purchased in '06 has a much more consistent and brighter display than my $1,100 black MacBook. My MacBook creaks and flexes all over, while the HP still has no noticeable change in the operation of the hardware. I love my MacBook, but getting better hardware quality at less than half the price of a MB is not acceptable. It's as if Apple isn't worried about the actual quality of MacBook components; if the MB is assembled to only 90% of the appropriate quality, it seems to be fine with them. My MacBook's display is horrible! It's insane that I can get better hardware quality with an HP at less than half the price of the MB. This is only made more frustrating by my iSight and audio jack defects that Apple couldn't even diagnose properly and fix when sent in.